Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 16, 2024, 05:19:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Christmas photos

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas photos  (Read 273 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:11:32 pm »

These photos were taken on the 24th (first 3) 25th and 26th. The snow on some parts of  the hill was about 12 "  

Taken at home.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:28:10 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:24:18 pm »

Lots of excellent photos there John, rain here for me, all the snow is going now  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 06:22:16 am »

Some beautiful shots there John. Some lovely sunset colours which contrast nicely with the blue skies & snow laden landscapes & I love the ones showing the lights at dusk, too.

Feel sorry for that poor blackbird, though!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 10:59:47 am »

Thanks,  Andy & Mark. I think a lot of birds have  probably perished but we did our best feeding those that came to the garden and the 30-odd sparrows that live in the pyracantha hedge. here. All the ducks from the local frozen pond have left,I found some at another pond and took seed to them,I assume the rest will return. I saw one fish this morning moving slowly under what's left of the ice-it's amazing how they shut down and survive but they had running water into the pond to give them oxygen.
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 04:23:35 pm »

Great images John I enjoyed looking through those. Keep up the good work feeding the birds they need all the food they can get especially the ground feeding birds.
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 04:24:38 pm »

Beautiful photos John, love the long shadows cast the the beginning set of images. That sunset beaming over the mountaintop is spectacular. Must have been quite a cold spell on that hilltop getting all those shots! I see Mr. and Mrs. Duck are still with you.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 06:47:08 pm »

Beautiful images John, I love the shots from the high vantage point, the icicles, summer seat in the snow, and the portrait images with the setting sun, snowy foreground, and trees - they really capture the fabulous Winter weather we had.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:32 pm »

Thanks again  all. I've really got to get some of these framed arounds the house. My wife ,rightly,tells me that it's no good having all these photos (of whatever) on the computer,she wants to be able to see some around the house ,so maybe that's something for all of us ,who don't do this, to consider .

You spotted Mr. and Mrs. Duck there,Richard. lol. They were here an hour ago and we can put food for the ground eating birds,Anton, because the cat (we have two) that does still like to get them won't go out except for his toilet requirements.

I think up at the top re. favourites is the  wonderful  setting sun  reddish colouring of the  snow  on the hillside and the people along the ridge. - the one after  the bench photo. After I took those photos I climbed the very steep slope to the top to carry on with the city lights photos and I had the camera still on the tripod which  was over my shoulder  (always the tripod,wherever lol) and I had the camera backpack on too and I was starting to slip just below the ridge  and there were two  very attractive young ladies there and one held her hand out for me to grip and then the other did the same and asked in an East European accent if I'd like some help. Well you don't turn an offer like that down do you  Grin  I willingly caught hold of  their outstretched hands and they hauled me up over the top.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum