Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 19, 2024, 11:54:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

December Severe Cold Spell Thread

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: December Severe Cold Spell Thread  (Read 6267 times)
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2010, 02:39:35 pm »

they tell us about the bottled water  etc. quite quickly
The issue here being that (a) you have to supply your own containers and (b) the nearest supply point is 20 miles away .... how on earth are you supposed to cope if you don't drive?

It's a fiasco, they need to provide standpipes and/or water tankers NOW.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2010, 10:23:08 pm »

I think I heard that Scotland is sending over a load of bottled water.  Why aren't there water bowsers taken to specific points that are well advertised ?  We had them them in 2007 as an aside, until now I wasn't aware that the NI floods  in 2007 were worse than ours - were there street bowsers in service then ?

I was about to say it  is bad planning but there doesn't appear to have been any planning at all , the freeze went on long enough (and the forecasts told them that anyway) for NIW to realise they would have these problems. I wonder if the CEO, Laurence MacKenzie will resign- seems to be what happens these days, don't tell me he gets a bonus ? and the other head that should roll (that's what's being called for by NI business leaders) is that of the Director of Engineering and Procurement ,Trevor Haslett
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:40:14 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2010, 10:14:03 am »

It's an unacceptable state of affairs the negative effect the weather has had on life this winter - be it the water situation in NI, the airports etc - there's a long list when you put your mind to it.  I find it amazing that the powers that be are not prepared to act in advance of this weather - if you take this cold spell, we were talking about it starting on this forum a good couple of weeks before it started, along with its severity.  If you take last years winter I think the topic on this forum started in the october, where, again, we discussed with some accuracy the synopsis that occured.  Now, I know we're only 'amatuers' on here, but I know that when temperatures have been down in the minus teens for some significant time that the thaw effect of this is going to be burst pipes, given the fact that on here we said when the thaw was going to begin some time before it did you would have hoped the authorities anticipated the problem and put measures in place prior, not after it happened.  It's a shoddy state of affairs!  Angry
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2010, 04:45:47 pm »

....and there are indications of another cold spell on the way next week, however at this moment in time it's not expected to be severe at the moment. The models do hint at decent snowfalls though....one to watch again.
Report Spam   Logged

scott86

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2010, 11:08:17 am »

Just a few snaps from the recent cold spell!

sorry for the lack of them, spent half the time getting cars unstuck!!
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2010, 11:33:22 am »

Fine images Scott!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2010, 03:57:17 pm »

Shivering images Scott, the first sends a chill down my spine, I'm sure it won't be long before such scenes return.
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2011, 12:23:42 pm »

I'm sure it won't be long before such scenes return.
I hope not; haven't got the water supply back after the last lot yet.

The public services round here never cease to amaze me; no gritting anywhere locally for 10 days when there was snow & ice on the roads but now the temp isn't falling below +5C they're being gritted twice daily. Probably using up the grit they claimed to have spread when the weather was bad.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2011, 02:34:33 pm »

Bad news about the water Brian, that's not good  Angry

It's curious the methedology they use for gritting, i've noticed them gritting round here now the temperature hasn't fallen below freezing for several days also.  Strange...  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2011, 02:45:52 pm »

I've heard it said that the bottled water being sent to NI from Scotland isn't actually needed, but given the roasting the management of NI Water are currently getting they felt politically incapable of turning it down!!
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2011, 07:53:22 pm »

I've heard it said that the bottled water being sent to NI from Scotland isn't actually needed
Hmmm. Bear in mind that if the water supply is interrupted it isn't safe to drink without boiling for 14 days so I really think we should be being supplied with bottled water for drinking for a couple of weeks.

My water came back on this afternoon. Of course it's discoloured & full of air bubbles but OK to get a much needed bath & wash some clothes.

The real issue here is the customer service response - it was this morning before I got someone who actually appeared to know more than was on the web site (incomplete and completely inaccurate) - from their response & subsequent developments I think they had actually turned off the whole supply for Portballintrae & forgotten about it ...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum