Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 10:10:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Low Level Aurora Last Night - Jan 7th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Level Aurora Last Night - Jan 7th  (Read 390 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: January 07, 2011, 04:40:45 pm »

A G2 geomagnetic storm hit last night but I missed the best part because I was watching a film (shame) however when I saw the charts I noticed a bigfcontradiction, the oval was not over us, the IMF was north, KP 5 so in normal conditions it would not be visible. However the traffic light charts had a flashing amber alert for mid northern lats so I decided to go out because these charts are always accurate based on personal experience. I drove out to the country on the ice and snow in -4 C temps while the car slid all over the place. I could see an aurora through the window without dark adaption. It was an enhancement to the N and NW sky with greatest brlliance to the left of Cygnus, it was very low at 5 degrees or so in elevation, the camera picked it up better however the distant LP spoiled the image. I watched it for 20 min's then went back home as it faded. Not spectacular but still fabulous to see an aurora so early into 2011 so I was chuffed to bits. I have a feeling I missed a much better show earlier.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 04:56:20 pm »

Well done Martin!

but I missed the best part because I was watching a film (shame) however when I saw the charts (...)
I fell asleep just before midnight... I think this storm couldn't reach my latitude, however this is another alert easily missed by me.
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:23:24 pm »

Thanks very much Roman - I almost missed it myself. There could be more tonight and Sat. Here's a shot of Orion taken after the aurora.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:25:10 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:16 pm »

Great images Martin!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 01:37:58 am »

Thanks very much Richard, I hope the next aurora will be a proper one  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 11:10:19 am »

Nice shots Martin, it's always good to see the northern lights.  Gratz on SW too, your aurora pics are getting noticed these couple of days Wink  Guess we need to keep our eyes on the solar wind data now we're getting closer to solar maximum, more will follow! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:24:42 pm »

Brilliant stuff Martin  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum