Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 02:46:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Monster Icicles & Moonlit Snow

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster Icicles & Moonlit Snow  (Read 413 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 19, 2010, 01:51:13 pm »

Alot has been going in these last few days, best snowfall in 25 years, temps at - 16 C and even a Met Office emergency warning. Only have a few images at the momeht, I have been freezing, tired, and even in pain over the last two days and nights while enjoying the amazing weather.

Moonlit snow and distant snow showers at 3am in extreme low temps, even the snow was frozen solid like ice. The colours in the clouds are real but looked more vivid with the naked eye.

Monster icicles in Draperstown

This was the record in Tobermore

Moyola River

Quick snap of thundersnow cells +70 miles away to the E over the Irish Sea/North Channel, these produced lightning after dark, I saw a terrific in-cloud bolt from Maghera which was amazing.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 03:09:06 pm »

those are monster bits of ice  Shocked

Love the night shots, excellent!
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 03:24:02 pm »

Brilliant set. Amazing icicles and  the night-time shots , a speciality of yours  these days , are wonderful and number 3 in particular is a real stunner... well done and it must have been a relief to get back home despite the stunning  scenes and warm up with a cuppa . I know that pain with the cold  (the fingers with me) and it really hurts but look what you got.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 05:26:00 pm »

Fantastic images Martin, you have lovely countryside where you are Smiley

Icicles are starting to grow nice and big here now too Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:15:21 pm »

Thanks everyone for the comments. John, I'm delighted you like the night exposures, I really do enjoy taking those but they are the most difficult of all because the cold is most severe during those early morning hours however in some ways that makes them of greater sentimental value to me if you know what I mean.

Regarding the pain, this time it was due to slamming the car into a curb due to slipping on the snow, the steering wheel yanked suddenly and hurt the muscles in my arm and chest, it was a delayed injury, I thought nothing more about until it hit me that night, I was in great pain, especially my left tricep, had to go on pain killers all night. Recovering well now but it's a challenege to keep warm out there. All part of the experience though  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 07:57:46 pm »

The nighttime shots are defiteky my favorite also, nothing like the Moonlight, clouds and snow!
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 03:36:54 am »

Bearing in mind that you were going to post your images to a first class & elite audience (i.e. us lot on Astronomy, Photography and Weather), I'm rather disappointed that you only stayed up until 3am! Next time make sure that it's 5am minimum!!

Seriously that brings the meaning of 'dedication' to new dizzy heights - to say the least! Some really superb results there Martin. I particularly like the colours, cloud structures & the overall composition of the first three. Top stuff!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:02:06 pm »

Crazy icicles Martin, that one in Tobermore is a beast.  Have to agree with everyone and say the night shots are superb and the moonlit one especially, saw it on the BBC N.Ireland website too-well done  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:17:50 pm »

Thanks very much everyone, Andy you will be glad to know I was out to 05.00 that morning, the night images just happened to have been taken around 03.00  Smiley

Cheers Paul re the BBC mention  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 04:51:14 am »

WOW! Some really awesome shots in here Martin! Looks like your having a blast so far this winter  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 10:47:46 am »

Nice set Martin, Missing out on the picturesque stuff here had about 1" snow so far and the continuous freezing conditions and dry air are not letting some hoar frost/ icicles build.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum