Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 08:53:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Not the Usual Sunset

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Not the Usual Sunset  (Read 309 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:52 pm »

I saw the sky turning orange about 3.40 today  and dashed up the local hill. I managed to catch some of it. The wind was quite strong and I had to hang on to the tripod- yes, even in these conditions I had the tripod up  Grin  I saw the hail and snow getting closer and the penultimate photo shows that. I took the shot, rapidly put the gear in the bag and legged it but I was too far from the car not to get caught in it and I was in a blizzard of swirling hail and snow-amazing. We;re certainly experiencing extremes these days - good though  Grin.

My sensor needs cleaning,it's smeared , I've tried to do it myself but to no avail, I'm losing good shots-some taken today at this location but I've posted one of each phase of the front as it hit. I'll have to take the camera to Bristol and have it  professionally  cleaned.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:30:23 am »

Nice series John, like the view in the first added to the cloud structure and red tinge, very nice.
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:13:32 am »

Great set of photos John. You can sure tell the weather closed in fast! Good luck with the sensor cleaning.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 09:48:05 am »

Thanks both. I  originally had 7 lined up  but I looked again at the sensor smears on a few already to post  after I'd written  the text. I may as well add them and you can see the structure  that looks like an elephant foot (as well as the sensor problem )and I cropped the far left bit  of dirt out too from the setting sun. All the photos (except the car  and the sun setting were facing north/northeast. I forgot to mention that when I arrived the level of light wasn't too bad as you can see by the bit of blue sky but as I ran up and down the small hillocks  (and believe me I  really ran lol) over the  hill  back to the  car it went as dark as night ,I took the car photo to show the difference.I had to wait for the main blast to diminish before I could get out of the car,it was quite an experience, it was like you'd imaging being thrown into a wasing machine but quite exhilarating nevertheless. Grin

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:49:55 am by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 03:16:51 pm »

Beautiful shots John! I really like that first one  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:26:50 pm »

Cheers,Conor. Had I got there a few minutes earlier there was more of the sky in the first photo, that colour.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:20:23 pm »

Nice shots John! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 05:52:37 pm »

Beautiful images John the colour variation within the clouds looks really good.

Thanks

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 06:05:01 pm »

You where in the rite place at the rite time for these John, beautiful images  Smiley. The first one is excellent with the beefy cloud structure and colours. Like the road action shoots too with the car. Great to see everybody out documenting this severe cold spell  Smiley.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:14:06 pm »

Thanks all. Yes, we  certainly have a good  photo gallery and record  here of all this weather,Martin. Mind you, the photos from NI are awesome.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum