Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:12:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Whats on your Xmas List?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Whats on your Xmas List?  (Read 720 times)
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:27:44 pm »

We all get to browsing the photography catalogues this time of year. There are many items on my wish list, an 800mm prime, a 1D MkIV etc etc, all are currently unreachable. One way to improve my photography would be a better way to stabilise my camera without using a tripod. I hate tripods, and tend never to use one except in extremely low light conditions and for astro use. However as I do almost all of my photography tracking down wildlife, a tripod is less than useless, its a hinderance. I found a possible solution some years ago and today I finally ordered one.
Santa is bringing me a Bushawk Shoulder Mount. They are now available in Europe from http://www.bushhawk-europe.com. I ordered the BH320 Pro Kit, all for just €300 delivered. I'll review it here some time in the new-year, after I get a chance to use it.

So - whats on your wish list - have you been good this year?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 11:25:38 pm by JohnMurphy » Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 03:40:35 am »

Looks like a great piece kit John, hope it serves you well.  I have been a good boy this year and i had a sigma 10-20 high up on my list but i dont think santa is going to deliver  Cry  but i will settle for an upgraded neck strap cause i dont like the one supplied as standard.
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:51:22 pm »

I know what you mean about tripods John, though I use an old rickity one all the time, just don't have the steadiness I did when younger. I've been good and could ask for my youth back, but I don't think that will fly with Old Saint Nick. Look forward to your report on the shoulder mount.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:10:01 pm »

I've given the dear wife a long list of various things astronomical from the expensive (incase she wins the lottery!) and all the way down to more affordable stocking fillers.  Not sure what i'll get, just ahve to wait and see! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:01:05 pm »

Be interesting to read your review,John. I don't think  that would suit me,I thinkI'd have less steadiness than just relying on the IS. and leaning against trees , as you say a tripod when photographing wildlife is more a hindrance  than an help unless you're set up somewhere in a hide. I sometimes use the old beanbag. I might get the Manfrotto 393. A Wimberley is no good with a 100-400 as when you extend or retract the lens you change the centre of gravity and hence the fine balance. I've put in a request for an army type pullover ( green of course) and a hat with ear flaps...green of course .  Grin  Beyond these  two items I can't think of anything that's not too expensive. Could do with a new pair of Bins but I'll get them myself.
Report Spam   Logged
Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 10:23:08 pm »

im buying myself a 10-22mm canon lens in the next week  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:12:12 am »

Yet again I shall be asking Santa for one of these but won't hold my breath.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:42:23 pm »

Ha ha ha.... The old LaserBlast 105 eh?
I wouldn't mind one of those myself, and a nuclear power station to run it....

I spent a lot of my youth shooting both in the wild and with the army and feel at home with a rifle or shotgun, hence I think it will be a natural move for me to use the Bush Hawk shoulder mount with my Sigma 150-500mm lens. The lens is not the fastest and I usually use it a F8 for sharpness, so any added stability on top of the superb OS built in to the lens should help greatly. Some claim its a major factor in getting more BIF keepers. Its not everybody's cuppa, but those who love it (some serious photographers) wouldn't be parted from it.
I just hope I'm one of those who love it.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 12:51:30 pm »

Well, I have a bunch of storm chasing DVDs to keep me going over the festive period..

Mike Hollingshead's Hostile Winds DVD

Roger Hill's 3 hours of HD DVD footage of tornadoes and storms during 2010 from SL9 tours

Discovery Channel's Storm Chasers Season 2 box set - thanks Conor  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 03:16:42 pm »

Nice line-up of DVDs Martin, im jealous.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 03:44:45 pm »

I'm a happy bunny! - the wife got me a pier for my equatorial head for my scope.  I gave here a big list of what I 'fancied', and have to say was completely surprised when she got me that.  Best thing is she said she didn't expect it to be so big and heavy, and maybe it was time I considered a 'shed' to put all this in the garden.  I may well have to take her up on this, but it would have to be a white shed, that is round, with a domed roof... Maybe I could get away with it... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 04:39:12 pm »

That would look quite nice in your backyard, just be sure to put some low growing shrubs around it to keep it with the theme "garden shed".
Report Spam   Logged
Richrichie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 12:44:47 pm »

I was with aguy shooting one day and he managed to put the camera on .......the wrong way around on his shoulder mount.......hehe......any ideas who!!??

Nice bit of kit ....i have to say....

Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 09:38:14 pm »

I did that on purpose Richie. I was ahem testing the mount for self portrait use ahem....
DOH!  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum