Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 01:43:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Frozen River shoot Part 1

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen River shoot Part 1  (Read 243 times)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:45:30 pm »

I've eventually got around to getting a few images together from Wednesday 8th December.  It was a day when the conditions out were very cold with extensive frost and rime ice on trees, skies were clear so some great winter scenes presented themselves. I had decided the night before to concentrate on rivers in my area and ended up visiting 4-5 rivers at different locations, getting there involved driving on minor roads that were like ice rinks and very dangerous. Some of the scenes i will never forget and i took 300+ images, heres a small selection

An example of the road conditions

The Mourne River froze solid as far as the eye can see

« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 03:58:26 am by paulster78 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:14:19 pm »

Fantastic shots, Paul, unbelievable. The risk on the roads has been far outweighed by these stunning photos. If I had to choose a couple of favourites they would be 2 and 6 but tbh. I keep wavering between one and another. Will we get a repeat before the winter is over I wonder ? It's  back to below zero from Friday I see. Glad you made it back home  in one piece and with an intact car.
Report Spam   Logged
DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 10:41:48 pm »

Cracking set, Enjoyed them.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:59:20 pm »

1,3,4,6, last, and second last are my favourites but as John said it's difficult to pic from such an excellent selection. Looks like you had an exceptional photo shoot with perfect conditions - ice, snow, frost, clear blue sky with Sun, the dangerous drive was more than worth it - stunning images!  Smiley, I am jealous!
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 03:57:28 am »

Thanks John, Dave and Martin.

John it looks like more snow before the weekend, this winter has a lot more to deliver yet.

Martin thats a turn up for the books, im usually jealous of your great images lol.   Yeah really enjoyed myself and as you say conditions were perfect, i just had to show up with the camera.  Will do a part 2 to this thread later on tonight and put a few more up.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:26:11 pm »

What an exceptional set of photographs Paul, great job! Hard to pick, but #2, #5 and the last one really strike me. Hard for me to tell why some rivers freeze and some don't, me living in a temperate climate, I guess it has to do with swiftness and depth of the water I would guess, but then again somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks for sharing, looking forward to Part 2.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:09:37 pm »

Thanks very much Richard, most of the frozen rivers i visited were slow moving so you are spot on.  The river channel in the last shot is man made and flows a little faster-just enough to keep the frost and ice at bay. I think this channel fed river water away from the main river towards a factory or something, im not familiar with the area because i sort of stumbled across it on my travels, it was a great find too  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum