Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 04:25:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Geminid Meteor Shower Maximum - Dec 13th/14th

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Geminid Meteor Shower Maximum - Dec 13th/14th  (Read 1169 times)
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 01:05:14 am »

Still quite a few Geminids around tonight, I saw a mag -4 fireball which went almost overhead from norther Auriga through Camelopardalis.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 01:24:33 am »

Sounds like a nice one Brian, I might just head out for another look myself...
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 07:35:24 am »

Beautiful shots Martin.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »

Thanks Mark, Dave, and Richard  Smiley

Clouded out all last night...
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 05:43:52 pm »

Perseverance in the chill  well rewarded.
Report Spam   Logged
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:38 pm »

I saw a mag -4 fireball which went almost overhead from norther Auriga through Camelopardalis.
Turns out I captured the first part of the flight of this meteor on one of the images I was taking for photometry of Epsilon Aurigae:

2010 Dec 14, 2314 UT. Canon 40D, 50mm f/1.4, 8 sec @ f/2.0, ND8 filter, ISO 400

Yes, it's recorded nice and bright even through the neutral density filter (which is employed to reduce scintillation noise in the image). The background noise is high because I've effectively boosted the ISO to about 25,600 by messing with the gain in software.

Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 01:42:56 am »

Just happend to see 3 Geminids in about 5 minutes this morning about 05:30 in the far west.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 09:51:03 am »

Saw a nice bright -1 mag geminid on the way to the pub last night so pleased about that  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 04:11:53 am »

Congrats on that Mark - and clearly a good reason to go to the pub more often!!   Grin  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
RN1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 12:31:09 am »

Been away from logged to this site for a while but check updates daily and think the exchanges here are excellent aswell as the weather stuff stuff that interests me also. I came home from work at 1230 on the night of the peak with a few breaks in cloud and saw one bright meteor. At the time it was cloudy over most of Ireland except the north-west

At the time i also noticed Vega low in the north but in a large clearance so at 0130 i drove to a beauty spot called Lough Talt up in the Ox mountains fourteen miles away, well away from any light pollution. Started observing at 0200 in fantastic conditions,  but very dark and totally clear for ninety minutes. Saw well over 70 meteors many small ones, a good few at least 20 bright fast moving with trails.

At exactly 0207 I was taking photos of the Orion area when there was what appeared to be a double flash of lightning but quickly realised it was a fireball, lit up the landscape dimly for two second, turned around and noticed a large trail in Leo. I did see Martin mention this and also in the North East, although from here I would say only about 15 degrees high.

Of course every time i saw a bright meteor my camera was facing the wrong way, took eighty 30 sec IS0 1600 images only capturing three meteors some even went thru the camera field but didnt pick up. The display defintly intensified after 0245 as started to cloud over with meteors coming in two's and the majority of bright long trailing meteors. Wrapped things up at 0330 as clouded over.

Also several weeks back and on a Saturday I noticed several posts from N Ireland about a Sundog, was also visible in North Mayo

Ronan Newman

See my Site @ www.galwayastronomyclub.com
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 04:07:25 am »

Welcome aboard Ronan - and I totally agree with your comments about this forum & its members.

Good to see that your dedication paid dividends on the night of the maximum & I can fully sympathize with your comment about the camera always facing the wrong way when a bright meteor chooses to whiz by!
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum