Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 08:34:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Geminid Meteor Shower Maximum - Dec 13th/14th

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Geminid Meteor Shower Maximum - Dec 13th/14th  (Read 1168 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:50:29 pm »

Time to get a thread started!. The Geminids in my opinion are the best meteor shower of the year with maximum this year taking place on Dec 13th/14th, that's Mon night/Tues morning. The ZHR is 120 meteors per hour and the Moon sets after midnight so the predawn hours will be dark and perfect for meteor watching - weather permitting. This shower is worth watching for it's exceptional fireballs. I hope to be observing the maximum and perhaps even get a watch in tonight. Best of luck everyone. Please post your Geminid images and chat/reports on this thread.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:52:54 am »

Well I've read about several sightings of bright fireballs on various forums, including Richard's report here from a few nights back, all of which I've managed to miss. There was also this widely reported sighting in the UK's national press which also eluded me!  Sad

Alas although I had some clearish skies to begin with yesterday (Monday) evening, the show was over by around 7pm as the predicted cloud cover moved in (and is still here as I type this)!

BTW while waiting for the kettle to boil for a cuppa earlier on, I switched on a national radio station just in time to hear the presenter inform his listeners that it was the peak of the 2010 Geminids but that you would need a telescope to see them!

Not a dedicated meteor observer, methinks! Hope others here fared better.

Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:10:44 am »

the show was over by around 7pm as the predicted cloud cover moved in
Same here.

Intermittent cloud on Sunday night (Dec 12/13) showed a few Geminids but none of the ones I saw was exceptionally bright, in fact most were near the limit of vision.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 08:48:04 am »

Sorry to hear you had cloud guys cause it really was an impressive show.  Cloud finally broke with me around 00:30 this morning to provide a few clear slots at first then quite good skies overhead.  From this until 04:00 i saw 72 Geminids but mist and fog rolled in and that was that.  Hopped in the car and drove out to a higher location and was amazed to get crystal clear skies, observed 152 more from 04:50-06:30 and probably missed quite a few more taking images at the same time. One notable fireball that lit up the southern sky at around 05:10 leaving a nice ion train, brilliant session but very cold with toes and fingers suffering the most.

There always seemed to be a plane in the frame

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 02:52:32 pm »

Well done Paul, these are great shots from the high ground of Pigeon top, what a view you had and I'm sure it was freezing up there. Love the images showing the Geminids and the car, looks like you had a fabulous time. Thanks for the late night text message, I ran out of credit so couldn't respond.

I was mosttly clouded out but had clear spells for a while yet I still saw 117 Geminids within a short period of time. I would say that based on these rates this was the best Geminid meteor shower I have ever seen to date!. Observed a stunning fireball at 02.14 UT in the NE, easily mag -8.0 and casting obvious moving shadows on the ground. It flared with silvery-blue light like a supernova with a body sporting a vivid orange colour, it left a long 5 sec orange ion train - an absolute beauty. Caught one faint Geminid on camera. Not bad at all considering I had cloud for most of the night.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 03:16:57 pm »

Well the clouds came over yesterday (Mon) evening and that was that before bedtime, however I awoke at about 0645 just as the dawn was beginning to make itself known and saw 5 Geminids over the course of a few mins including one spectacuarly bright one - est mag -2 - certainly much brighter than Capella - this ran from close to the radiant most of the way to Procyon moving quite slowly so I guess that was not far off coming straight at me. Didn't have time to get any pics - well done Paul for getting your shots!
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 03:59:03 pm »

Great images Paul, beautiful view from your location. Thanks for the reports from everyone. The one Geminid in #2 shown bright enough to be seen through the cloud bank, amazing. No luck here, rain at night for the past 9 days I think, even the upcoming eclipse suppose to be rained out!!
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 05:28:19 pm »

Thanks a lot Martin, Paul and Richard.    That was a great count Martin for your limited viewing time, fireball sounds incredible.  Well done on catching some this morning Paul. Hope the weather picks up for you Richard  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 06:36:42 pm »

Paul, you should send in your visual report, count and images to Spaceweather.com  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 08:59:29 pm »

Caught this faint Geminid last night, 2nd image is a deep crop...

Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 09:02:56 pm »

Paul(ster) some smashing shots there. You're dedication & efforts in getting to an ideal location certainly paid dividends for you.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:27:43 pm »

Sent to SpaceWeather Martin Thanks.  Martin great catch there going through Orion.  Cheers Andy  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 09:37:10 pm »

Cheers Paul  Smiley

Hopefully Dr. Tony Philips will use the report and images.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 10:17:57 pm »

Great reports and pictures guys!  Always good to see and read.  I have to confess to only a being a fairweather summer meteor shower chap - work and cold weather at this time of year means i'm tucked up in bed when the Geminids happen...
Report Spam   Logged

DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 11:05:27 pm »

Great reports and pics Paul and Martin disappointed i couldn't get out last night. Good Job.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum