Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 12:41:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mallards Feeding

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mallards Feeding  (Read 305 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2010, 01:25:34 pm »

These are the mallards as I was feeding them. My wife would  to adopt the white duck as it seems to have a slight problem walking and is smaller than the mallards  but it  held its own well enough beaking some of the mallards  Grin  We made sure it got food too  and   I think it was a case of the underdog syndrome. ..No, we won't be adopting a duck   Grin

As you see in the last one ,taking the photo at a low level doesn't work well as all you get is a sea of backs,they were all  heads down anyway but it 's just to show where I take the seed. Scattering the seed also  stops the fighting that occurs when people throw down a couple of pieces of bread at a time and  with the seed all the ducks get some and there's dampened wholemeal bread mixed in with it too. The gulls will try and get the bread but not the seed,they take a back seat.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:31:26 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:54:24 pm »

Very nice pictures John!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 09:42:45 pm »

Cheers,Mark. You can see there's something not quite right about that white duck,s legs.

No need to comment on these really,it was just to let you see where I go to feed them and how many there are. They ran (waddled) towards us as we approached Lol.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 03:47:27 pm »

Great shots John, there sure are al ot of them, is this a winter type gathering, or do they spread out more over the countryside at other times of the year?
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 05:56:58 pm »

Another excellent selection of Winter images John, the first gets my vote for the composition/light/colour  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »

Excellent shots John. Well done - nice report too.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:25:59 pm »

Well, thanks for comnents. They seem to be there most of the year,Richard. It's actually a balancing pond for rainwater from the local estates and the run-off from the surrounding hills but it's been declared a nature reserve recently  so it will get more funding. I used to belong to the 'clear-up group'  that meets the first Sunday of each month- we cleared debris, litter, unblocked filter grilles  etc. .We had very bad flooding in 2007 (July) and  the water was up to where I stood to take the photo and so the city council have been spending a lot of money and time taking flood prevention measures,infact they're chopping all the trees down along the stream opposite our house as the leaves fall in and cause blockages. I must take a photo before they all go, they've started at the far end of the road and yesterday there were 5 cars where the logs were stacked and people were stealing them...as they do with wood that floats ashore after falling off ships in storms...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum