Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 05:30:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter Pic & Mix

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Pic & Mix  (Read 483 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:50:00 pm »

A few shots taken during recent days and nights, can't get any of the photogenic stuff because it's impossible to get on the minor roads due to the snow, so if one tried they would get trapped, it's like an ice rink on those which is why I have been restricted to main roads.

Approaching snow shower at night on a mountain while trying to get an observing session done

Stars and snow on the mountain, the reflection of planet Jupiter can be seen on the car roof

Magherafelt Christmas Tree

Icicles on car

Sliding lorry on Glenshane Pass as it pulls out from filling station ahead of me

Break down on Glenshane, two of 36 cars stuck that afternoon

General Glenshane Pass road shots

Christmas at home
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 11:14:19 pm »

Brilliant shots Martin, I really like the first three. How can you stand the cold like that? Young blood I guess! Love the shots of Christmas in the Village, if you call it that. It looks like very tough driving as you said. Question, the price of gas (petrol), is that in pounds or Euros, liters or gallons, I really have no idea, guess I'll have to add a currency converter to my other calculators. Our gas here in Oregon is $ 3.00 US a gallon and just across the state line in California it's $ 3.50 a gallon, they always get ripped, lol.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 11:18:55 pm »

Always love seeing these pickies Martin!  Another great series.  I just hope this next spell of cold weather next week brings me some decent snow.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:34:59 am »

Outstanding collection of images Martin.  I like no. 3 with that ominous looking snow shower coming over the hill and no.4 is a cracker of a festive image. Glenshane looks like it was fun yesterday and two happy doggies getting in the xmas spirit.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 09:45:25 am »

Nice collection there Martin, the conditions look extremely tricky to deal with. Love Jupiter reflecting off the car that’s a great image. Out of interest do you use a window suction mount for the camera?.

Enjoyed your account on the web for this.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »

As ever, I love the night-time. shots. You've done very well with the exposures,Martin. There's a sleepy Benson but who's that next to him ? I've only seen Benson out photographing with you.

The people who can  get the great shots of snow  are  usually fortunate enough to be able to walk a short distance to get them because  it's just not worth risking ,at best  the car and at worse life and limb., having said that though,those who do are generally rewarded.Unless we get a lot of snow on the doorstep there's not a lot I can get.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:27:50 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 09:21:24 pm »

Thanks everyone for the comments  Smiley

John, that's Drew our other Dog who only has three legs, he sees Benson as a big brother and follows him around and sleeps beside him too, however Benson doesn't like it because he doesn't like Drew at all lol, imagine the drama, Drew is bad tempered and a tough because of what happened to his leg (bit off by another Dog - we rescued him from the pound like that because he wasn't wanted) so Benson gets scared by his tough demeanor. Benson is more of a gentle giant you see  Smiley

I have been taking many risks getting out on this ice and snow and have had many close encounters over the last 15 days of weather action, it's shocking that I haven't damaged the car from all this, on the plus side I'm getting pretty good at driving on snow and ice so it's been a good experience. If the car isn't an option then I would walk too. Summer storm chasing is a walk in the park compared to this Winter madness.

Anton, funny you shold mention that, I don't have one but Declan and I (both of us observing that night) were discussing this very issue and considered the door mount and it's pros and cons, we agreed that it would be a useful tool but perhaps not as a good as it seems due to the bad roads and restricted view here and the car would have to be at the correct angle. As for the window suction mount - Conor has one, it also attaches to the dash and roof etc, it's really cool, useful and definitely a good buy. I need to get one myself.

Richard, that's £1.20 per litre. I don't know how I stick the cold either, I would say I don't stick it and just suffer Smiley, I get chilled badly through my legs and hands no matter how many layers I'm wearing, I just don't think about it until I get back.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum