Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 02:00:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

December Severe Cold Spell Thread

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: December Severe Cold Spell Thread  (Read 6382 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 09:33:12 pm »

Thanks for the link Paul.

Just back from Glenshane, drfiting snow up there and lorries spinning on the main road, some are stuck. Things are turning nuts up there. Car crash in the area with bent telegraph poles.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2010, 12:05:26 pm »

I have 10+cm of level snow in the garden and another heavy shower here currently, almost whiteout conditions at times-amazing.  These showers set to continue for the rest of the day

Updated warning from the Met Office:  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2010, 02:51:14 pm »

Continuous light snow here but only about an inch of slushy accumulation. Main issue is the underlying ice from the rain/sleet showers which fell yesterday evening then froze ... Very slippery & almost no evidence of gritters out on the roads round here.
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2010, 03:45:22 pm »

We have a good 20+ cm here and still snowing.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2010, 05:12:00 pm »

Best snowfall here in years, 8" now on the road outside my house and even deeper in places, it's been snowing on and off all afternoon, roads are terrible. The main road to Magherafelt is awful, I saw lines sagging down low over the road in Maghera due to the weight of the snow and ice, this is becoming a big event.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2010, 05:19:32 pm »

That's the 2nd emergency weather warning issued for NI within a year!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12003757
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:57 pm »

The power lines here are starting to sag noticably under the weight of the snow and ice - something I have never seen before!

Icicles hanging off the traffic lights and road signs too
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2010, 08:35:53 am »

You're all doomed  Grin

Woke up this morning to falling snow ,about 2 inches in the garden . Records are being broken in NI I see.  The BBC man in NI  said it's the worst he's seen for 30 years. I hope you've got provisions in. Any quickie snapshots of outside the house will be appreciated. I don't think you can get on the roads or would want to even. Are you able you walk up at the back of your home ,Martin ? From previous photos   I think it's elevated.

Stay safe whatever,don't risk yourselves too much for a photo.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:38:13 am by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2010, 09:42:51 am »

Finally started snowing for me here late last night.   Looks like its been on and off throughout the hours of darkness.  About 4" on the ground this morning and snowing steadily again.  Looking at the radar seems this will continue off and on again throughout the day so no doubt this total will get greater yet. 

Would like to say a big thank you to everyone here aswell...  I've been going on the netweather forum since the cold weather started at the end of november, basically to try and glean that bit of extra weather info.  The vast majority of their (NW) threads are just prophecies of doom and gloom - not for bad (read snowy) weather, just the fact they all seem to get hung up and moaning when the model runs get downgraded.  Problem is they take a 'favourable' model run as gospel, then when the next run comes out and it isn't as good as the last one they're all slitting their wrists.  There's none of that in this thread at all - just concise yet detailed forecast synopsis and folks enjoying posting happy and enjoyable accounts of weather in their regions.  It makes good reading.  For that reason gentlemen I thank you all  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:38 pm »

As an update from me - been snowing steadily since I got up this morning.  Have a good 8" now which is the most I can remember for me here in a good while.  As you might expect society has ground to a halt - all the side streets are clogged up solid, and even the main roads are covered if tracked.  Looking at the radar there seems to be more to come aswell Smiley  Amusingly the pet cat is sat on the window sill scowling at the view outside, when the big flakes come down she starts to hiss  Tongue  Poor thing needs to go outside and do it's business but is a fairweather cat as such is stubbornly holding out atm - i'm sure the weather is going to win on this one.

Some proper winter weather for me for a change  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2010, 04:44:59 pm »

Nice one Mark glad to hear it.  Similar amount here 8" or a bit more level snow. Spent most of today digging out my drive and the in-laws so not much chance for photography, it took me half hour last night to get the car from the front of the house into the garage-which is about 10 yards, a lot of shoveling and cursing involved!  Temperature outside currently -8 and expected to drop to -15 or lower.   

Any quickie snapshots of outside the house will be appreciated.

Thats about all i could manage today John, heres a few

Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »

Lovely shots Paul!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2010, 08:30:30 pm »

Snapped on way  to work lol

Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2010, 01:11:33 pm »

Fantastic shots Connor!  Looks lovely Smiley

In the mean time check out Jo Bastardis vid http://www.accuweather.com/video/713085113001/snowsnow-amd-more-snow-in-europe-and-the-us-also.asp?channel=vbbastaj -looks like we could have snow on the ground till new year!  Cool

Check out this one too http://www.accuweather.com/video/714529447001/dreams-of-a-white-christmas-strongly-supported-by-us-model.asp?channel=vbbastaj - about 1/2 way through...

Interesting!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2010, 03:10:11 pm »

Great shots . Love the holly berries shot,Paul.

I looked out onto the roadway this morning  at 8.30am from the landing window and a lady happen to cross the road and went straight down in a heap but got up straight away and got to the pavement and lit a fag so she was ok lol. I went out and there's a couple of millimetres of ice sheet on the road-it's lethal. My weather unit was reading -7.5C and I live on an  estate so in the surrounding countryside I bet it was nearer -10C. In Pershore I see it was -19C. These are incredible temperatures in this region.
My wife  went to visit a friend in Oxford on Friday and as she left to come home yesterday ran into a white-out snowstorm and had to abandon the car .Fortunately it's safe on a small  NHS property and she contacted them and they said not to worry. She's still at her friend's house and hopes to make ' a dash' home tomorrow at mid-day. I see temps climbing  back to zero and plus 1C by Wednesday and then down again.

Mark. Our two cats go outside  and run down to the bottom of the garden in the snow to  do their biz. and run back,past the ducks who keep a wary eye on them. The mallards spent 2 hours in one go here yesterday and what they're doing here and across at the pond this morning (I took a large bag  of wholemeal and seed) is to sit on the ground to keep warm or  rather help conserve body heat.

I've been reading Joe Bastardi's forecasts too. he did forecast all this and more to come.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum