Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:45:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

December Severe Cold Spell Thread

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: December Severe Cold Spell Thread  (Read 6392 times)
brianb

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 10:30:32 am »

Very odd here last night - temp varying wildly & rapidly between -7C and +2C seemingly independent of cloud cover - probably a cold land breeze fighting the northerly drift which is (relatively) warm after contact with the sea, whose surface temp is around +11C.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 04:56:42 pm »

Heavy snow showers on and off last night here, then today I ventured out to find that the Lough Neagh shore at Ballyronan Marina has frozen over for the second year in a row, very far out too in places around the distant boats. The ponds in Magherafelt park are also frozen with ice. Some amazing scenes today with the snow, ice, freezing fog, and friendly Robins. Large icicles over a foot long hanging from rooftops in places too.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 07:57:18 pm »

Snap Martin!  I've been out today as well, i concentrated on rivers and tried a few locations and came across lots of frozens rivers and ice together with the ice on trees and blue skies, it made for some beautiful scenery. Had to negotiate some lethal road conditions on the minor roads too, filled a 4gb memory card so whoever asked to see more winter pics could be regretting it whenever i sort through them  Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 08:05:09 pm »

Crack on with them,Paul..we're all waiting.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 08:06:35 pm »

Crack on with them,Paul..we're all waiting.  Smiley

Indeed!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 09:01:33 pm »

I will second that, get cracking man  Smiley. Thanks for the text message today, it was good to hear from someone else out shooting, when I got your message I was photographing the snow and ice at Lough Neagh at the time, it put a smile on my face when I read that you were doing the same. Sounds like you had amazing photo opps with the rivers, I really like the sound of those trees and ice with blue sky - proper Winter opps.

My own shoot wasn't so good, took over 250 images, mostly of the frozen Lough, not to mention many attempts at trying to catch a Robin up close with a 18-55mm kit lens which was fun. I have a shot showing 8 Robins in the one tree - a first for me. Of course some of the finest sights I saw was when I was driving and couldn't stop the car due to snow on the roadsides, these last two days have produced the most amazing sunlit fog/snow scenes which were simply incredible, I got a few not so good quick snaps using a filling station to get parked, then the owner came out staring at me with dirty looks. I'm going to miss all these Winter scenes with the thaw. I hope the next cold spell moves in fast. Looking forward to seeing your images.

In retrospect it has been amazing, for me it's been 15 days of snow, ice, frost, severe temps, 6 nights of thundersnow, big icicles, record temps, and now Lough Neagh frozen again for the 2nd year in a row, last year it was a 60 year event which indicates how severe things have become. I have a feeling the best is yet to come this Winter!

Excellent image of trees covered with rime ice in todays Daily Mail
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 10:39:15 pm »

Joe Bastardi is now talking about a 'serious' and 'severe' cold event likely for UK and Europe next week until 2 or even 3 weeks into the future, he stressed that he hoped people were prepared. Will be interesting to see if he's correct.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 11:14:32 pm »

Joe Bastardi is now talking about a 'serious' and 'severe' cold event likely for UK and Europe next week until 2 or even 3 weeks into the future, he stressed that he hoped people were prepared. Will be interesting to see if he's correct.

Thanks for the heads up Martin - heres the link http://www.accuweather.com/video/704630559001/bastardi-europe-gets-hit-by-extreme-cold.asp?channel=vbbastaj
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 11:22:17 pm »

And the previous forecast from a day or 2 before http://www.accuweather.com/video/700277018001/european-then-you-are-a-freezing-the-next-couple-of-weeks.asp?channel=vbbastaj  (sorry to post out of context).
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 11:44:12 pm »

Michael Fish latest video forecast for the coming days http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=michaelfish;sess=
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2010, 05:42:05 pm »

Serious winter weather is in store for both UK and Ireland this week, a south plunging cold front on Thursday will bring rain, sleet and snow across much of the country. Behind it frigid polar air moves in rapidly causing freezing temps and big snow showers all across the country with cold air convection looking strong enough to produce two days and nights in a row (Fri-sat) of thundersnow storms over the Ocean, coastal regions, and even inland. This could be quite a spectacular week of photogenic weather action if the models continue with this trend. Here's the snow charts from Neweather GFS for Thurs  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 08:37:44 pm »

Met Office severe weather warnings already out for all of UK from Thurs-Sat

There might even be tornado potential from the cold front on Thurs.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 09:28:59 pm »

This cold spell looks like it's going to be pretty nuts!  I've been following the discussion about it on the netweather forecasting model discussion on their forum.  Looks like it has the potential to be the 'prefect storm'.  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 10:26:06 pm »

Have been following the chat as well Mark, the initial cold front and the sudden temp drop look significant not to mention heavy snow showers and blizzard conditions. Good chances of another thundersnow event happening Martin. I hope they do push more inland in the N and N/W flow. This could be a busy thread in the coming week!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2010, 03:09:03 pm »

Arctic blast warning out for Thurs from Netweather...

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alert;reg=7

Some people are saying this set up is rare and a once in a life time event for this country!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum