Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 03:51:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

December Severe Cold Spell Thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: December Severe Cold Spell Thread  (Read 6418 times)
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2010, 04:41:01 pm »

Looks like there's more to come in the run up to Christmas of what we all had last week...

Here's Jo Bastardis take...

CORE OF COLD PUSHES SOUTHEAST NEXT 5-7 DAYS BUT RELOADING FARTHER BACK NORTHWEST THREATENS NEW SEVERE COLD FOR NORTHWEST DEC. 14-20.
Winter's core will push farther southeast this week and while it's cold to start in the northwest, it does get milder for the late week, even above normal a few days over Ireland and much of the northern part of the United Kingdom.

IN FACT, LOOKING AT THIS, IT'S A REAL LIVE THAW COMING FOR MUCH OF THE UK AND IRELAND... but only for few days.

However, this is not the end. The pattern is very similar Dec. 14-23 to Jan. 1-10 last year. If you remember, major cold engulfed much of China, the eastern U.S. and Europe to open the new year and another round of major cold appears to be lurking in the longer term in the areas in Europe that have suffered the last two weeks. I think what we are seeing here is the evolution southeast of the core of cold so for the heart of winter, it is where it will be later this week into part of next week, but enough blocking continues to pull this cold back so another round of UK covering snow and cold may be in the works the 15th, perhaps all the way to around Christmas. The lack of the true flip (the warming coming is an island of warmth in the sea of cold) means this is likely to be the coldest December for the northwest since, well, we have to go back a long, long time.

In the meantime, by the weekend the worst cold will be in the south of Europe (relative to normal) with the core swinging from southern France into the Balkans by early next week as the northwest warms. Again, I do not have the time to post on this the way I would like too, but I felt this big ticket shift back and forth of extreme cold is something I should warn you about.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum