Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 03:07:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

JohnC in the river Wye

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: JohnC in the river Wye  (Read 477 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2010, 08:43:26 am »

Lol..No, I didn't fall in. I  wasn't going to post these but a little birdie  had a word in my ear  and said I should.. lol I think it's situations like this that got me my 'hero' status  on here  Grin  Please don't be too harsh on an old chap. My wife wouldn't let me post me in a bobble hat  so I went for the 'Country Gent ' look.  Grin My neighbour had asked me when I was leaving home to go to this location and I said 5.45 am and when I went to the car the next morning  to drive off there he was with his camera gear,flask of coffee  and sandwich  on the footpath outside his home (next door but one ). ...so that's how I came to have these photos.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 03:36:55 pm »

John, I'm delighted you posted these, for those who don't know I had already seen these images via email and I suggested to John that he should post them on the forum for fun. What I like about them is the fact that they document John's remarkable dedication to photography - the stills say it all - dawn, freezing cold, standing in a river - all in the name of getting a good image. This is why I love these images  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:51:23 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:39:03 pm »

...this would actually make for a cool new thread if anyone was up for it, images of yourselves showing you in action at a moment in time which indicates your dedication to photography, or a particular mad moment out with the camera  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 04:36:52 pm »

Love it John!  Great to see someone with a great passion for photography just getting stuck in there, all you need is the fishing rod in the other hand  Grin

Sounds like a good idea Martin, although im usually out on my own but it would be nice to put faces to a few names on here.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:03:10 pm »

Lol..Yes, dedication indeed. Sometimes I question my sanity - below zero at -3C and standing in a river with a tripod - I need to sort out  a warm pair of gloves though.  Grin

Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:07:32 pm »

It's great to put a face to a name after all this time John. Very dedicated you are indeed. I have thought of starting a thread for sometime to have everyone post a photo of themselves. I'm like Paul though, I'm always out by myself and I don't think I have ever used my timer, wouldn't know how unless I dragged out the manual.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 09:48:57 am »

Tis great to put a face to a name! Wish I could get out early in the morning and get shots like this, it's a lovely time of day!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 09:50:12 pm »

Best time of the day,Mark. Could have done without -3C though Lol.

Richard,  I think you'll find you have two  self- timer settings on the top of your camera in  the A! servo and one-shot window (they must be all  fairly similar)  just press the shutter and run into the Pacific with a second camera   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 02:39:57 am »

I'll  get a photo soon on one of my non-ugly days (they're getting harder to come by), but it definitely won't be in the Pacific, lol, I don't want to become one of the U.S. Coast Guard statistics!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 02:46:55 pm »

Oh,that would be great,Richard,I'd love to see a photo of the Coastguard  Grin

The reason I mentioned the Pacific was that you could  stand just in the water a little  or on the sands  and have a wonderful sunrise /sunset over the Pacific photo whereas I was in a 50 metre wide river in temps. of -3C (26.6 F) and fog - no contest  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:44 pm »

Some lovely shots there John, made even more special by your obvious dedication to photography. Really glad that you were persuaded to post them here & look forward to seeing many more.

...this would actually make for a cool new thread if anyone was up for it, images of yourselves showing you in action at a moment in time which indicates your dedication to photography, or a particular mad moment out with the camera  Smiley
As others have already said, great idea Martin, 
Just scanning a picture now in readiness of your new thread.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 11:38:24 am »

Cheers,Andy. We often have mental pictures of what other look like and 9/10 they're way out.  The light can be wonderful at sun rise twilight and the same for evenings,when you experience these times and see the difference it makes then it really makes the effort worthwhile. Also for wildlife that's when they're most achieve looking for food, unless they're nocturnal of course.

Some more frosty ,foggy mornings coming up so I'll see what's about. I'm checking out a 980 ft. hill at Ruardean (Forest of Dean)  later today.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 03:52:32 pm »

Ahhh. So thats what the great man looks like. Nice to see you finally John.
I agree with all the above, it would be nice if we all stuck up a pic of ourselves. As usual like all the photographers here I don't think I have too many pics of myself (actually just one). But with this extreme weather, I must remember to get on the other side of the camera for a pic to post - just start the thread Martin, I'm sure everyone will contribute.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 12:20:13 pm »

Lol..Cheers, John. Not so sure about the 'great' bit. My wife has urged me to get  a more modern headgear as she said I look like my dad used to in his cap.. Grin 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum