Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 08:00:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Journey North

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Journey North  (Read 389 times)
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2010, 05:02:04 pm »

Well the trip up North started well leaving my home town of Redditch at 8:30am destination Newcastle. The M42 around Birmingham was free of heavy traffic which was a little usually for this time of the day so things were looking positive. After around 50 miles heading towards Nottingham snow was becoming more visible on the side of the Motorway, North of Notts was a different story the 4 lane section of the M1 went to three lanes and in places down to two lanes. At this stage it crossed my mind to get off at the next junction and go home however the thought of missing another days pay I opted to carryon mistake number 1. After passing through the county of Nottingham I left the Motorway at Tibshelf Services, the entrance to the services was covered in deep snow. After seeing the conditions it was obvious if I stopped I was not going to get moving again so I made my way around the service roads and rejoined the M1.

Over the next 20 or so miles it was impossible to leave the Motorway due to the deep snow covering the exit slipways and lorries stuck one after another. The road conditions at this stage had become icy with temps down to –2. I called all my service calls and explained that the conditions were to dangerous for me to continue my journey North. I think the images below tell the story.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »

Thats nuts!!!  LOTS of snow round there - suspect calling it off was a good move ultimately...
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 05:10:18 pm »

Quite a statment on the conditions you endured, great first hand photos. I really miss not being able to contribute to all the snow and ice photos, but I don't miss being subjected to the frigid conditions, lol.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 08:04:39 pm »

Blimey, those conditions on the motorway are rediculous Anthony, 3rd image says it all! If anything you got paid with some dramatic images which really capture the action well. These are the kind of images I really enjoy because they show the public at the mercy of the weather. You should send them into your local tv/weather station  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 08:40:30 pm »

What a trip. Looks quite bad. Very good of you to take the trouble in all that to keep us updated . Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:48:41 pm »

Thanks for the comments everyone, there were a few scenes I really would have liked to captured such as the service station where there were many drivers standing around talking to each other and looking at their marooned cars some think you would not see on a normal day general chat between a number of strangers, if I had stopped I would have been joining them in there debate.

Thanks

Anthony
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum