Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:37:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

FC Captured near Wicklow 01/12/2010

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FC Captured near Wicklow 01/12/2010  (Read 332 times)
DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:48:53 pm »

Reported on Ukww with pictures, heads up for you guys.

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40340&posts=6#M591724
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:51:41 pm »

You beat me to it Dave  Smiley, excellent funnel cloud and of a standard one would be shocked to see in the Winter. Lovely stucture!
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:57:08 pm »

Great shot!!
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 05:03:50 pm »

Wow!!!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Frankie_82

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:18:10 pm »

That's a great capture. I was surprised to learn that these can form in winter.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 08:50:19 am »

Amazing catch this, that is an absolute beauty!  Well done to Mothman for getting so many images of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Mothman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2010, 08:01:18 pm »

Amazing catch this, that is an absolute beauty!  Well done to Mothman for getting so many images of it.
Well I thank you and glad that you appreciate the images.  Smiley

I'm not a photographer (nor a chaser)and I usually make a point of viewing something rather than concentrating on taking photos and hence not actually view it...but I had no hesitation in running inside for camera. It meant that I missed the first minute when it was much grander but the flip side, so many people have obviously got enjoyment out of seeing the images and without images there would have been plenty of skeptics...and with good reason!
In case it is not obvious, the "dirt" in the close ups is falling snow.

Finally the Panasonic TZ5 is a great camera! A true point and shoot and fortunately not to many kiddies fingerprints on the lens at the time  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2010, 08:27:34 pm »

Thanks very much for the update Mothman, you must have been thrilled to have seen that funnel, not to mention with snow at the same time, that's even more incredible than thundersnow, looks like you got an early Christmas present from the sky. Congrats on the quick reactions with the camera. I saw your two video clips and was very impressed. Keep up the great work  Smiley

* I was shocked when you said you are not a chaser, I think you should start  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Mothman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:28 pm »

Its been an extraordinary couple weeks here Martin.
I'm one mile from coast, beside a warm Irish sea. 13 day lying snow and still have about 5cm (much more in shade) and can't remember when we last got out, its been so long. There is thaw and we may manage to get the car out on Sat/Sun.

4 days with thundersnow some of it for hours! It took out ISP network twice in a week!

Certainly I was thrilled, tingling for ages afterwards, but I probably don't grasp how extraordinary it was. A lot of luck, but I've mentioned to you before that I'm a believer that one makes their own luck.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 10:36:58 pm »

Your last line says it all - I fully agree with you and have been saying that for years myself.  Smiley

I heard another interesting take on the definition of luck which goes...

''Luck is when preparation meets opportunity''.

* I could see those thundersnow storms all the way from Maghera (6 nights in row), the night of the 27th was a night I won't forget, I could see those storms over the Irish Sea from here with actual i-c bolts visible at night - stupendous stuff, we really have been getting awesome weather recently. Some think it could return next week  Smiley

Looking forward to your next catch.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum