Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 09:28:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Frozen Lake and Forest Snow

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen Lake and Forest Snow  (Read 235 times)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:19:09 pm »

These taken yesterday morning when i spent a few hours walking around Gortin Glen Forest and lakes.

This is the road i would normally drive up to the car park by the lakes but i got about 10 yards and had to abandon the car and set off on foot.

Anyone any idea how these circles formed (and ive already discounted the alien theory lol)

Then a walk through the nearby forest.

One of these guys would look nice in my front room in a few weeks Grin

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:21:36 pm by paulster78 » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 06:31:26 am »

Great shots Paul! That road looks like it could be a bit trickey to navigate. I wonder if those circles could be caused by underground springs with the warmer water coming to the surface causing the ice to be a bit mushier. Love the one with the picnic bench and table, great composition. That is a really beautiful area.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:23:58 am »

Lovely pickies there Paul!!! Wink
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 11:09:52 am »

Unbelievable for November  - looks more like somewhere in Scandinavia, a real winter wonderland - excellent shots. Any idea what's causing the lake circles ,Paul ?.. Maybe what Richard is suggesting.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 09:34:18 am »

Thanks all, Richard thats a good possibility i tried doing a bit of research and found this article, http://forgetomori.com/2009/science/ice-circles-explained-kind-of/    although im not sure if it the same thing i photographed.   Also i know from last winter that people like throwing rocks into this particular lake, i wonder if a rock smashing through the ice and the resulting wave pattern created this??  A mystery.
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:09:26 pm »

I think the crop circle theory is better than anything else, check for spacecraft underneath next spring lol.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum