Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:23:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Hoar Frost/snow - today

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoar Frost/snow - today  (Read 288 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:23:42 pm »

We had a very light fall of snow overnight  so how much of snow this is I'm not sure,it's mainly hoar frost on the trees in the field but it's clearly snow on the images towards the end which were taken on the hill. I drove 9 miles to a lake this morning but it was very disappointing so I was on the way home  and stopped off here. This hill  is Painswick Beacon ,the field/trees are on the opposite side of the road to the hill and it's sort of nowhere really- between Gloucester and Painswick village. I'll go back if we get some better light and there's a 2 hour clear  slot tomorrow if the forecast is correct. I'd really like some blue sky. A decent golden sunset would do wonders too as  the field and the trees and the side of the hill I was on face west. I need to try some proper macro too on the hoar frost.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:53:57 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:44:03 pm »

Beauties John! You are really holding onto the hoar frost over there, its all but gone from the trees here-those are some beautiful winter scenes. Is there a part Halo around the sun in the 6th one down-on the left?  I know what you mean about blue skies, i had them today and im kicking myself i couldnt get away!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:51:01 pm »

Thanks Paul. The sun almost had a halo.I was trying to replace photo 8- it has two specks of dirt top left- I don't do dirt on my photos  Grin .I clicked modify and went into LR to spot heal them and then re- export  but the coloured  spinning ball of death activated - it's something else on a PC's/Windows ,I had to turn off the computer ,by then you'd replied lol. Probably too late to modify now.I'll see.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:54:41 pm »

Grin Managed it.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:58:05 pm »

John, I fully agree with Paul, these are beautiful Winter images, the hoar frost on those complex tree branch displays is outstanding in that chilly light. As Paul said, looks like a partial halo in 6.

3,5,7,8 and the last with the Christmas tree really do it for me!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 06:18:26 am »

Another beautiful set of photos John, hope you don't catch your death of cold taking all these!
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 07:21:58 am »

Brilliant shots John!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 10:39:09 am »

Many thanks. It's much better light today  but  really it's only the photos in the field that have don't have any 'sky',the ones on the hill I think ,as mentioned,have that cold winter weak sun chill about them. I'll see what the sky is like this afternoon  and we may get a decent sunset too. Going up and down the hill and around the field really keeps the circulation going well so I think I'll avoid Richard's death of cold lol.. it's just fingers and face that gets cold,I have one of those russian style headgear  hats  with ear flaps -no river  flat-cap  for this job.. Grin The problem re. cold is the wind chill,without the wind it would be much better and it also messes up macro. We've  got a north easterly at 10mph. at the moment and forecast to increase .Our temp. now -1C  (30.2F Richard)  and almost 1011mb.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum