Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 07:05:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Winter Wonderland

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Wonderland  (Read 287 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2010, 03:45:25 pm »

Here's a few images from Sunday from Glenshane and Tirkane, snow wasn't very deep however the freezing temps and black ice below it made for extremely dangerous roads!. The weekend has been amazing for Winter weather with spectacular thundersnow for 3 days and nights in a row, severe cold with new record Nov temps here of -9.5 degrees C, and gorgeous snow showers, and even big hail stones on Sunday, throw in the freezing fog, crisp blue sky, clean air, cold air convection, and moonlit snow and it's been a real experience which I have enjoyed very much despite almost having five minor driving accidents in the snow and having my car doors freeze solid. Here's a just a few snaps.

3am Sun morning, exposure of the ice roads when temps dropped to -9.5 deg C

Glenshane Sun afternoon, snow showers in the E

Glenshane, snow, freezing fog

Almost got stuck here

Tirkane

Besnon enjoying himself, saw day time lightning (thundersnow) after this shot.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:47:07 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 06:02:04 pm »

All brilliant shots Martin!  Love em!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:10:22 pm »

Amazing difference a few tens of miles can make - we've had a light dusting but nothing at all like this. The higher parts of my journey between Larne and Belfast have tested the gritting on the roads so slowing down and not making any sudden movements has been the order of the day, but not getting anywhere close to being stuck, even on the back road that gets me to the main road.
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 07:10:54 pm »

Great stuff Martin really good images the first pic really makes you feel cold just looking at it, with all those weather conditions I bet you were like a kid in a sweetshop. It’s really been cold here over the past few days, water supplies at the yard have frozen so spent all day trying to repair so the horses can have some water.

Thanks

Anthony
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 07:47:35 pm »

Martin brilliant images!  The first starlit scene looks fantastic and check out the anvil on the snow shower in the second. Great scenes up there on the Glenshane-always guaranteed snow up there.  Id say a few people were sweating trying to get that hill, love benson's grin-a happy doggie in the snow Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:29:27 pm »

Great set of shots Martin. Really like the nighttime starlit scene of course, and # 3 is quite beautiful. That hill looks like a real tough one in any weather.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:26:07 pm »

Wonderful shots and as usual for me,the nighttime steals it.The snow covered road looks a bit dodgy,no wonder you had a bump or two,Martin. Not too drastic I hope. Good old Benson- he's got a smile on his face- I'm sure.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'm glad you liked the night shot, I was going to bin it but something made me hold on to it as it's the only image I have when the record low temp was recorded.

The highlight of the last 4 days was the amazing lightning/thundersnow which I watched over E Ireland on Fri night - the light show, under moonlit snow in the country and the wierd blue and pink colours in the night sky was an experience I will never forget, truly the most magical atmospheric show I have experienced this year.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum