Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 04:37:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Frozen Pond

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Frozen Pond  (Read 899 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:50:22 pm »

Our pond has frozen over but the two cascades keep a small area ice-free for the fish. I had to put up a set of canes with coloured plastic bags between them to deter the ducks- we don't mind the original Mr. & Mrs. Duck, as we call them, but they must have told their friends- we had 10 a few days ago before the freeze. I thought they had to land on water but they don't. They landed on the grass and  one promptly fell over and some others  flew over the canes , hovered in the air like a kestrel and came slowly down onto the water. I left the canes there for 3 days and it seems to have deterred all but the original two and one other so we don't mind that but they shouldn't really be here but it''s hard to not let them eat the fallen bird seed from the feeders in this weather. So I was able to get some shots of them about 8.30am  yesterday but the light wasn't good (800 ISO f4) and taken from the dining room through the patio doors.

I thought I better get these posted before Martin gets his snow photos up or these won't get a look in  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:28:01 pm »

Very nice John, the images really do tell a story of their own, evidence if evidence were needed which show how cold it's getting across the UK at the moment Smiley.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:06:59 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:52:09 pm »

Mighty fine set of photos John. The cat looks very interested in what's going on with the residents of your pond, fish or ducks!
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:20:39 pm »

Lovely shots John, must be great to have these two returning to your pond-without all their friends of course, be sure and keep us updated on the exploits of Mr and Mrs Duck.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:21:54 pm »

Glad you liked them  Smiley  I'm a softie at heart. I shouldn't do it but I put a small pile of bird seed out for them. Sometimes when I go out with seed they start quacking lol. 'Oh look, he's bringing us some seed - good-oh" The cat doesn't bother them,they're too big, I think they'd sort him out if he ran at them.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:42:04 pm »

Nice pond, nice ducks, nice pickies!!!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »

Lovely shots John.
Funny to see ducks in your backgarden, its not usually where you'd expect them.
Looks like Mr. Cat has taken a fancy to Mr. & Mrs. Duck  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:55 pm »

Love the images John, I bet you have enjoyed watching the ducks sliding on the ice good entertainment for the cat also.

Thanks
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »

I think the cat's a bit bewildered,Anton  Grin There's barely any open water left now and after the ducks have eaten some seed they waddle across the pond to the only two unfrozen areas under the cascades and take a drink to wash down the seed-they always do this - eat seed and every now and then drink water so I'm learning about their behaviour too .
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum