Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 18, 2024, 05:07:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What is happening in these clouds?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is happening in these clouds?  (Read 258 times)
Frankie_82

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2010, 08:47:29 pm »

Hi,
I took these shots over a month ago and came across them again today. I noticed some strange formations within the clouds and am interested to know if anyone could tell me what is actually happening here.

I took the photos out the window and then rushed outside to see if I could see anything else. I didn't see anything else interesting in the clouds, but after about 10 minutes it got extremely gusty and then after another 10 minutes, the rain came on quite heavily.

Anyway here are the photos, please let me know of you have any ideas as to what was hapening.
Cheers

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 07:40:12 am »

I think it's just pannus (scud) - modified by wind over uneven ground forming lenticular shapes in a variety of cloud which is usually rather ill formed.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:08:31 pm »

You mentioned the winds picking up and the rain after this so I would say these clouds are outflow from a weak gust front associated with a shower, storm, or frontal system. The mid level location backs up the theory. Not sure on the exact species though, pannus, stratus..ahead of the rain.
Report Spam   Logged

Frankie_82

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:11:14 pm »

Thanks for the replies Brian and Martin.
I didn't know what to make of them when I saw them. I'll have to do some study on these terms, but it good to get that insight.
Cheers
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum