Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 04:10:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Forest Birds

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Birds  (Read 243 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2010, 01:07:39 pm »

Had a day in the Forest of Dean - Canop Ponds, on Tuesday. If you look very  closely in all the water spray  in  the first 8 photos you'll see an attack unfolding between two mallards. .It was quite a spat and when it ended two small groups made off from each other. Then there is the photo of a female Mandarin duck on the tree  bough. These birds roost in the trees at night  ,I didn't know they were there and as I approached,slipping on the carpet of wet leaves as I went lol..7.30am this time..they flew from the trees across the ponds. There's a Greater Spotted Woodpecker  too  and a Great Tit.  I saw a nut hatch but it was on the ground and barely visible and with such a dark background and  with the lens hand held it hasn't turns out too well. Unfortunately I'd put my 100-400 in a bag that was just a bit too small and it had fallen out a week or so ago and is in the repair shop having one of the tiny cylinder legs (inside the lens barrel) replaced so I was using my 70-200 with a 1.4 X extender and lost a stop to f4 but at least I kept automatic. When an extender is used on the 100-400 you lose both, something for anyone thinking of getting one to bear in  mind, so I lost 192mm - that's a lot. I'll go back with the 100-400. It's great being in the forest and other photographers were there  from time to time (I stayed there until 4.00pm) and they're always happy to chat about the gear and I learn about the birds and places to go too.  I've also bought a kettle that plugs into the cigarette lighter so I can have a fresh brew Lol.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:15:06 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:50:16 pm »

Great set of photos John, sounds like you had a long day. Must have been very dark in the shadows for the duck squabble. Sorry I don't know my birds, but I love # 12, great depth of field, focus and color. Sorry to hear about your 100-400, must have been quite upsetting, hope all turns out alright!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 06:04:44 pm »

Great shots John, I would imagine the Duck captures would be extremely difficult to get at that range combined with the movement of the birds - well done.

The red berry images are fantastic!, add a bit of snow into that scene and you have the potential for a great Winter print or home made Christmas Card  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »

Thanks both. That's our robin,Richard,much smaller than yours. Not so much upsetting re. the lens as being annoyed with myself for A. forgetting to take the larger bag (not the camera backpack ) and B. for going ahead using the smaller one,I don't worry about things that can be fixed  with money, (I mean money comes and money goes) you just get them fixed and learn the lesson-hopefully  Smiley

Does look christmassy,Martin. I'll bear that in mind.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:47:58 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum