Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:11:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Foggy Morning

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Foggy Morning  (Read 339 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »

Taken on Monday morning and I almost didn't post them, ( still not sure tbh.a bit disappointing I  think and the problem was it was a general fog. I was hoping for low lying fog just above the river but it wasn't to be . I got up t 5.15am  too (lol) to drive the  35 miles to get for for the twilight of sunrise ,so 7.00am. I'd seen a photo  of the bridge in a magazine. It's at Bigsweir near Coleford , Forest of Dean,Gloucestershire  and is on the border with Wales near Monmouth. It spans the river Wye,  that's the same river  featured in  my last set of photos of the autumn colours, (taken 120 metres above it). The scenery along this river  can be stunning in places - I'm just discovering it. The two  photos at the end is what it looks like on a sunny day. I went there to check it out on Saturday  as I knew I'd be  arriving in almost darkness or  at least very little light on Monday. The photos are in sequence as the morning progressed,some weird colours were thrown up.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:53:16 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 07:23:00 pm »

Beautiful set of photographs John. I seem to like # 3 the best, not sure if that's monochrome or just the fog and lighting. # 9 is a beauty also, seems to have a ray of light decending on it, and I like the shadows cast on the structure. You're correct, that bridge can be gorgeous in the right light, you are all around it, just about there. You could be there 10 different times and not quite get the light you want. Join the club, lol.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 08:21:05 pm »

Looks good to me!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 09:16:11 pm »

Well, not so bad then...many thanks. That's monochrome,Richard. I wondered what it would look like. I forgot this one.

Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:31:37 pm »

Wonderful set John, glad you did post them!  Have to agree with Richard here and say no.3 is eye catching with the bridge emerging from the foggy gloom-it works well.  I like the way you can see the progression in time and you've captured some nice light on the scene in the last two, well done.
Report Spam   Logged

DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 12:22:51 am »

Hi John not a bad morning, looking at pic six middle tree on the right looks like a partial fog bow at the left hand side middle looks like  potential for some glory if I'm right. It certainly look like the signs i see before spotting a fog bow.

Cheers Dave H
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 12:28:32 pm »

Great images John the bridge combined with the eerie looking fog works well together. Nice part of the country there my Dads family came from the Forest of Dean, there’s so many photo opportunities to explore, such as Brockweir and the bridge, Tintern Abbey, St Briavels Castle and many others all great places to visit.

Thanks for sharing the images really enjoyed them. 

Anthony
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 06:08:51 pm »

John, these are absolutely stunning with the wow factor. I adore the fog-bridge images, the mood of the weather in conjunction with that magic early mornting light really comes across, there's something incredible about the 3rd image!!  Shocked, there's also a slight possiblity you may have detected a segment of fogbow in some of the images too. Congratulations on an outstaning photo shoot - and to think you told me via email that it wasn't a success lol  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 08:59:46 pm »

Many thanks,very much appreciated. I wonder why I thought they weren't up to much ?  Shocked

Martin and Dave-re.  possible fogbow. I just saw a wonderful colour mix there, for me to recognise a fog bow  it would have to be quite clear like some of yours I've seen in the past,Dave, and Martin's and others  on here,pity really because had I realised what might be about to develop I would have stayed at that location (the far side of the bridge) for longer. I went from here back through the tunnel under the road and photographed the rays through the trees and one last one of the bridge close up.

I really appreciate such positive and encouraging comments from everyone-thanks again.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum