Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 05:54:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Local Flooding At Night - Nov 11th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Flooding At Night - Nov 11th  (Read 423 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: November 12, 2010, 03:05:01 pm »

Conor tipped me off to some local flooding on the minor roads outside Maghera in the countryside so I went out for a look. A river had burst it's banks and flooded the road as it flowed downhill, it was quite large and deep. Took a few exposures for the fun of it while the gales howled through the trees. The warm colours are from my hazard lights flashing. The stars really added to the scene, the darker image is a hand held short exposures taken during a squall and heavy shower.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:08:19 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:03:02 pm »

You really come up with some winners Martin, combining the problems that come from flooding, and also showing the beautiful nighttime sky at the same time. I think that's a first for me.  I really like the photo of the heavy rain showing up in the headlights, I can almost feel it hitting the car roof, looks like our rain here in Oregon!
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 08:05:34 pm »

These have worked out really well Martin, i like the orange light illuminating the flooded scene.  The last one is a cracker, nice composition and exposure with the movement in the clouds and trees-the stars set the whole thing off!  Good to see you were out and got some images.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:18:22 pm »

Thanks very much Richard and Paul for the feedback, I haven't been feeling well lately so I wasn't out much but when this storm arrived my instincts told me to get out lol - old habits die hard. It felt sureal standing on that dark conuntry road with deep water in front of me, stars in the sky, gales roaring through the trees and the regular orange blinking of the hazard lights, it was almost alien. I'm glad I kept the hazards on to get those warm colours otherwise the images would have been very drap. The trees look soft because they were blowing in the gales. The storm got worse after this with raging gales at +70 mph and hail showers all night so I was glad to have taken a few storm-related images and have something to show for the event.

I know that road very well and although it might not look like much - that little flood was quite signifcant as I have never seen it so deep before in my llfe - and its nowhere near a large river either, just a small stream in the fields on either side. Thanks for Conor for the tip off!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:43:34 pm »

Well done,Martin. There aren't that many photos around as the weather was too fierce for people to be out at the height of it. I like that heavy rain photo, it's really belting down.
Report Spam   Logged
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 02:02:31 am »

You really come up with some winners Martin,

I reckon he's been cloned several times over Richard - he always seem to be in the right place at the right time to get some really winning shots!  Grin

Some excellent compositions there Martin. My personal favourite has to be the penultimate one with the rain dancing off the road.

Sorry to hear that you've been a little under the weather (oops - bad pun!). Hope you're soon 100% again.

Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:57:52 pm »

Yep agree with all the comments it’s another true Martin style image, dark conditions gloomy weather, none friendly camera conditions and yet he still produces an interesting colourful image.

Well done chap

Anthony
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 06:32:56 pm »

Thanks very much Anton, Andy, Dennis, and John. The stars look a little out of focus on the 3rd image and I don't know why that is as I focused on infinity using Jupiter, maybe a gust of wind shook the camera or I knocked into the camera for that one. I tried the Moyola River after that but it rained too hard with nasty winds so I stayed in the car, it would have been too dangerous to set up on the bank in those conditions.
Report Spam   Logged

DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 09:01:45 pm »

Another nice job Martin glad to see you getting out and about my car still in the garage. Angry . The floods here have been more widespread  and higher than usual, and i've been stuck at work then grounded.  Cry
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 04:50:56 pm »

Thanks Dave, sorry to hear that the car is still sick, hope the car doctor can get it on the mend again soon. There will be plenty more action to come when your sorted out  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum