Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 09:46:22 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A stroll through Autumn

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A stroll through Autumn  (Read 297 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:31:31 pm »

I spent a couple of days driving here and there to capture some of the wonderful autumn colours we've had this year. The colours  here are what they were, they haven't been enhanced. I hope they turn out ok. My only disappointment was the lack of sunshine and blue skies because on the odd occasion when it was like that it really enhanced the photos. Re. 'hoping they turn out ok.' the reason I say this is that I visited  my sister  during one of the trips (Symonds Yat) and looked at my squirrel photo I'd sent her and it was quite dark compared to my screen,I believe this is to do with calibration. A friend also said he thought it was a bit dark,they  both  have PC's,I have a Mac so maybe that doesn't help.  Here goes. Many were taken in the Forest of Dean. Symonds Yat rock is 120 metres above the river Wye and in the cliffs  live peregrine falcons. You can see buzzards and goshawks from this high point to.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:41:46 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:45:53 am »

All I can say is WOW! John, what a travel show. You should work for the Travel and Tourism Department, or do you? The different trees and photographic angles are stunning, and the 3 valley overlooks, #565-567 (just kidding) with the mist, fog and river are really pleasing and relaxing. Great set of photos, you continue to raise the bar of this forum.
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:00:22 am »

Stunning autumn collection John, they represent this time of year really well.

Thanks

Anthony
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:10:58 pm »

Thanks both. Never worked in the tourist industry,Richard. I'd probably have been quite good at it making sure people were ok.
I need to get my photos into my iPhoto gallery, it's going to be quite a task so I need to stay on this computer for a few days and resist going out to photograph even more,that's going to be hard.
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:26:04 pm »

That's an excellent set John - especially the valley shots! Which river is that?
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 04:41:01 pm »

What can I say John? - these are awesome and really document how beautiful the trees and countryside are during Autumn, like the others said, some of those images could be use by the tourist industry!. The 3rd from the bottom is very dramatic!.  Smiley - a stunning collection of inspiring photography!
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 05:43:02 pm »

Amazing series of images John, they look spot on on my laptop screen-not dark at all, infact the yellows and greens are almost jumping out the screen-great colours.   Love the shots looking up at the trees and 6th from last with the river meandering through the valley with the mist patches hovering above the trees-great stuff.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 12:05:35 am »

Many thanks - Really inspires me to get out there   Smiley

I only just managed before the displays went,this storm yesterday has stripped a lot of the leaves off.

That's the river Wye, Paul. It runs to Ross- on-Wye from here. Here's the full route  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Wye

I forgot to mention this. I wanted to be at that high point - Symonds Yat for sunrise,I saw that we were clear here (regional weather forecast)  but over the Forest of Dean-35 miles away -there was cloud but I hoped it would clear. It didn't  but I'd set out to get there by 6.50 for the  7.10 sunrise so on the way there was no need to get to the Rock so early and I needed more light  than there was. I decided to go down to the river at a place called Lydbrook about two thirds the way there (infact as you look at the river shot towards  the cliffs  it's that way down river). I stopped at the riverside which is in the village and used the riverside car park. I stood there wondering what photo. places there were. A cormorant  flew by, two mallards were fighting the strong current-it was flowing  very fast. Then I decided to check out some steps down to the water about 75 metres away .I went down the steps to the water and a bush was restricting the view anyway so I started to make my way back to the car and after a few metres  I heard a familiar sound ''swish, swish'' Swans !!. Aaaaagh. I didn't have the camera out and two adult swans flew down the river very low over the water right past me - It's a narrow river as you see so they were just 15 metres from me  mid-stream- I could only stand and be memorised. Flying swans ,especially so low and over a narrow river like this are, to use a US term 'awesome, really awesome' to watch.They are so graceful and they headed downstream and rounded the bend a few hundred metres away and out of sight. You can see swans down on the river from Symonds Yat rock I so I'll go to that location again at that time and take some brekky with me and wait and hope...but camera ready this time .
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum