Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 01:35:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

After the Storm

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: After the Storm  (Read 394 times)
rjgjr
« on: October 26, 2010, 03:11:55 am »

Not nearly as grand and colorful as Anthony's and John's latest ocean photos, but I visited the aftermath of our first big autumn/winter storm that blew through the past several days. These are from Meyers Creek and Hunters Creek 3 miles either way from me.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:38:05 am »

Fantastic weather/landscape images Richard, I had been following this storm on the net and wondered if you had been out with the camera. The sea is very wild looking behind the storm, can only imagine what it was like during it. Love the images of the beach/waves with person and the last one most of all, and that crashing wave. The beach debris shot says it all.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 05:09:08 pm »

Great images Richard, the ocean in the first image looks extremely powerful crashing over the rock and great shades of green in the spray too. 

Thanks

Anthony

www.redditchweather.com
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:40:41 pm »

These are very impressive shots!!!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 08:53:51 pm »

Like the power in the first shot and the guy walking along the beach provides good perspective. Enjoyed the set.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 10:39:01 pm »

Great to see the stormy seas season is around the corner - number 3 is great and the small figure gives it perspective too,good stuff,Richard..Did you find anything interesting i the debris - I bet all sorts gets washed up.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 01:58:53 am »

Excellent images Richard, love the crashing wave and debris shot. Could do with a storm like this over this way to liven thing up a bit.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:26:36 am »

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. I love the big seas also and have been trying to find a better spot for closeups, will have to ask around. They say our "storm door" is open for winter, so it should be interesting from here on out.
John, I have found all kinds of things amoungst the debris in the past, from crab pots with crabs intact, to glass balls floats that the Japenese fishermaen use on their nets. I had the glass floats checked out by our local fishermen and they are the real deal, it's a long ways across the Pacific!. Other than the glass floats the most interesting item I found was a fence post wrapped in barbwire that had a small Rogue River Cattle Ranch sign on it. The ranch is about 120 miles upriver from the Pacific and then about 5 miles south where I found it on the beach. A long journey indeed!!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:27:40 pm »

Interesting,Richard. I wonder if you photograph and log your finds ?..it would make an interesting read down the years.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:16:28 pm »

That's an interesting thought John. I do have several other items of interest. I've also thought of doing the meassage in a bottle routine, although there's been several unsuccessful attempts of late (bottles back on the same beach in a day or two). Several school classes have had the local fishing fleet take bottles out 50-75 miles and drop them off to get out of the local currents. No news is good news I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum