Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:41:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Night Seascapes Hartland Quay

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Night Seascapes Hartland Quay  (Read 488 times)
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:10:43 pm »

Hi all, these were taken over the weekend of Hartland Quay Devon, this particular remote part of the cost is very rugged with dramatic views to be seen in every direction you look.

Focal Lengh 18mm F3.5 8sec Exp

Atlantic ocean with Lundy Island Lighthouse in the background

This image was taken after 11Pm under a full Moon which looked brilliant but it would have been a better affect if the sky was not so bright. The wind created a few issues blowing me and the tripod around together with the camera lens being covered by sea spray it was great fun though even with frozen wet feet.  

Focal Lengh 35mm F1.8 10 sec Exp

Great night really enjoyed the time spent, took many pictures and learned a few valuable lessons along the way that’s what its all about for me enjoyment and learning new techniques.

Thanks

Anthony
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:09:25 pm »

Ah.. another nighttime photographer. Very attractive photos,yes, you're right we often learn each time we go out there. I will nip down to Hartland for the storm seas-takes 2.30 mins. I've had some great shots from there and a cove bit further along towards Bude-Sandy Bay maybe ??  ..something like that.
Report Spam   Logged
Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »

Sounds good John, I love this particular part of the coast from Clovelly right the way around to Lizard Point specially during high tides the waves booming over the coastline is overwhelming. I stayed at the Hartland Quay Hotel and I must say the view from my window is the same as the picture that shows Lundy Island in the background.

Thanks

Anthony
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 10:04:55 pm »

Great shots Anthony, looks like another great spot to image the ocean. Looks a bit like the Oregon Coast, but you can pretty much say that about any rocky coastline.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 11:47:24 pm »

These are excellent Anthony, i know what you mean about the bright moon and with a darker sky some stars would really add to the images.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:41:23 am »

A great first post Anthony!, these images are really atmospheric, you got great motion on the waves and clouds all taken in excellent light with moody colours, the first two are like a painting!. Well done on these captures, sounds like you had an excellent photo shoot. That's a place worth returning to again on a starry night. Thanks for sharing  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Anton

It Was Clear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 01:17:02 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments, I’m pleased you like them even though this is the first attempt using longer exposures with water as the main focus point it was my intension to capture the night skies gleaming over the towering rocks and cliffs but the conditions weren’t favourable.

Thanks

Anthony

www.redditchweather.com
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 07:41:58 pm »

Very good!
Report Spam   Logged

DaveH64

View Profile WWW