Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 10:19:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Autumn Colours - Maple Tree

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Autumn Colours - Maple Tree  (Read 321 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:38:34 pm »

Of all places - an M5 motorway service station,it was  very eye-catching as motorists drove into the Service area. Fortunately all the cars were up near the restaurant- people,despite stopping for a break and a stretch of the legs, don't really like to walk too far to get to the restaurant/shop,I'm sure they'd drive inside if they could lol.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:48:38 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 04:02:43 pm »

Beautiful colors John, very dramatic against the dark blue sky. Looks like Autmn is in full swing there. We don't have much of a color season right here where I live on the coast, the temps are to stable and the leaves take to long to turn before the big storms rip them from the trees, in fact most of them are gone from the 70 mph winds we had night before last, lol.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 06:02:08 pm »

These are stunning John!!, the true Autumn wow factor, great the way you got the colours contrasting against the blue sky behind, the first image really shows this extremly well - wonderful  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:04:41 pm »

Thanks both. We're at the end of the Fall Richard, not many left like this,it was a great sight ,cheered me up on the 4.30 mins. drive.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:44:39 pm »

Very nice shots John!  When we arrived in Iceland on sunday there were lots of nice autumn colours then we had a hell of a storm rip through yesterday (monday), a walk around today and you can pretty much count the trees on one hand with leaves still on them...   Talk about a quick change of seasons!
Report Spam   Logged

DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:46:41 pm »

Great colours, the close up shots work well for me but not sure why.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 10:46:44 pm »

Thanks both. Your'e in Iceland then,Mark ? I recall you saying you were going,great to have the laptop.

The close-ups I like too, Dave. You almost feel as if you're there,all encompassing,maybe it's because with a close-up there's nothing else in the frame to cause a distraction- just you (yew lol) and the tree..and the colours.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 01:47:11 am »

Intense Autumn colours John and very well captured, love the close-ups too.  

After the sharp frosts of Saturday and Sunday night a young Horse Chestnut tree in my garden shed all its leaves yesterday inside a few hours, they just fell in a heap straight down below the tree. I imagine this was the effect of the extra weight on the leaves from the frost? Never seen this before but it made the clear-up job much easier.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:25:31 pm »

Cheers,Paul.The close-ups turned out better than I thought they would. I looked up why HC leaves should fall  because of frost and the answer is that it's the large surface  area  that the  leaf has and it will 'host' a lot of frost which damages it.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 01:29:37 pm »

Thanks for that John, i had an idea that was the reason  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum