Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 11:34:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Forest Photos

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Photos  (Read 437 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2010, 12:28:15 pm »

This morning I wanted to see if I could get another location for sunrises with the river in the foreground (can't keep going up the local hills) I've been there before (Newnham-on-Severn...9 miles away in the Forest of  Dean) and tried it with the moon  reflecting on the river but it didn't work out too well .  I arrived at 7.10 . this morning and I took my photos and wondered if i could get up on the top of the hills behind me so I took myself off there. I was unable to locate a particular location I was advised to go to by a man selling breakfasts from a van at the river location- no, I didn't avail myself of his  bacon and sausage rolls-I had an apple Lol. I actually got a bit lost in the forest but eventually found my way back to the car BUT wow...the wildlife there. I took these not thinking for one minute they'd turn out half decent. I don't know what the grey/brown bird was but I also saw a woodpecker(Greater,I'd imagine) ..would you believe it - pecking at a telephone pole Lol. obviously conversing with his mate further down the line.He saw me though and flew before I could get a shot off. I'll process the sunrise photos next. No wonder I find myself with so little time to sort things out on this computer or get any other jobs done. I wish it would rain for 3 days Lol. The colours are what I saw,the cameras enhances them a little I think.Does anyone know what this first  bird is ?  I'm getting to see a lot of wildlife getting out into the countryside at sunrise-I sometimes forget I'm there for the sunrise/mist/fog and sky. Lol. It was partridge and pheasants last week in the Cotswolds.

So..What is this little chap ? I think the first three are the same one - it looks like a sparrow but  front on it doesn't. -I assume it's the same bird.I also saw a chaffinch but that also flew off before my lens could locate it in the tree.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 12:31:24 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 04:11:09 pm »

I really enjoy your wildlife photos John. I don't have the patience to go out and look for it myself. I really like the squirrel stocking up on his winter food source.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »

John the second one is a stunner! so crisp.  Love the squirrel too, not easy getting a shot of him as they dont stay still for too long-well done.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »

Simply superb! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »

now those are good!!! I love the squirral, i love these types of shots!! Excellent ! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 07:30:32 am »

Wow these are superb John so crisp and clear. What lens did you use for these. I would be more than happy with a set like that.
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 08:58:59 am »

Thanks a lot - they turned out a lot better than I expected,I was surprised .  The light was very good as it is in the early part of the day -  but I got light and shade . The bird sat in streaming sunlight with shade around and the autumn colours have enhanced the shot too ,I think. I need to find out what bird that is-I know a 'bird man' lol) The settings for that one were 1/800 sec. (hence the sharpness ) f5.6 400mm ISO 400.

That squirrel was a busy little chap Lol. I assume it was the same one nut gathering. As  you say, Paul, they don't hang around and even in one spot they're 'jerky' .I  quickly  realised I needed A1 Servo and high speed fps.(8fps.) It was about 25 metres away. I mainly shoot in manual mode-more control although Av is good too,this shot was in manual mode ,I'd added the 1,4 X extender too-he looked a bit small from that distance without it and this lens loses automatic  and a stop with the extender . The settings were 1/125 sec. ISO 640 400mm with the 1.4 X extender giving 640mm and f8(I lost that one stop from f5.6) I was fortunate-luck (if you can call it that) plays a big part in these sort of photos. I was lucky that his head was beyond the dark tree trunk and I was lucky that the sun shone full on his tail and lightened the head too,the two interesting parts of him.

Dave. It's a 7D camera with the Canon 100-400 lens. If I had a 400mm prime then I'd get f4 right the way through and with an extender would still retain automatic BUT-you're stuck with the 400mm. If something is just a bit too large  in the frame you can't bring the lens back in,if it's ok at first-the squirrel would have been but if it comes nearer to me at one point it would get too near and that would be the end of the photographing. They're superb lenses ( this 100-400 is excellent too-very versatile but it needs good light) I don't think the perfect lens exists yet. Go beyond 400mm prime and the size and weight becomes an issue. 300 & 400 are ok regards that but I've held a 500mm and they're heavy (8.4 lbs.- the 100-400 is 3.1)

Here it is,  Dave.. http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/canon-ef-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-l-is-usm-lens-review.aspx The top photo shows it 'collapsed' (ie. zoomed right )

My wife's off to Leamington Spa shortly for a meeting that lasts just two hours so I'll go with her  at 9.45 and she'll drop me off at Jephson park (you probably know it Mark) I've googled it and there's a lake there with ducks no doubt and a fountain and an old fashioned bandstand  (I'll get a photo of that for Richard)-it's a great day for light so I'll see what I can get.,better take the ND filters for those fountains, be good practice. for me.
Report Spam   Logged
DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 09:21:21 am »

Thanks John that is a cracking lens had a look at the link. Any moon shots yet?
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:12:07 pm »

These are exploding with Autumn gems, felt like I was watching 'Autumn Watch' when I saw these. Number 2 is a beauty and the last of the Squirral with nut in his mouth is outstanding!! - what a shot  Smiley, perfect light too. Magical photography  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:41:47 pm »

No moon shots,Dave. I tend to leave the astro. shots to those who know what they're doing - if you'd seen some of mine you'd know I don't   Grin

Cheers, Martin, The squirrel will be one of my favourites  for sure. The photo is better than he was to look at ,at the time, I didn't see he had a nut in his mouth until I put it up on the computer.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 10:18:08 pm »

Cracking shots John C. I love the squirrel shot - what a pose.
Thats a Dunnock (Hedge Sparrow) in two and four.
Number one looks like a juvenile chaffinch judging by the markings on the wing and the shape off the bill - could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:16:39 pm »

Ah, brilliant, John.A Dunnock-thanks, thanks for comment too. Our regional tv  news posts 2/3 photos behind the weather forecaster and I sent them the squirrel  and lol..they turned it round so it was a facing the presenter .
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 01:03:14 pm »

Well done!
You can now claim to be a TV photographer.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 03:07:25 pm »

Thanks both.

Here's the tv photo, lol...you see how they turned the squirrel round to face the presenter.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum