Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:08:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Apaches Close Up

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Apaches Close Up  (Read 294 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2010, 07:47:42 pm »

I've now sorted the Apaches. Next time I won't take so many photos - approx. 865 was unnecessary.

Richard-You were  right.Spot on. They're  a British version.The  WAH-64D. W for Westland,  as you say and as you also said they have Rolls Royce engines and the radar is a British version of the Longbow.They have more weaponry than their US counterpart and some have folding wings to enable them to be used on an aircraft carrier.You obviously know your stuff. To be fair to the person who told me what the one over the house was the first place I think he  probably thought that Apache was good enough for me. He was right too - I know nothing about them, I had to send the photo to him to confirm my suspicions.  

Photo 5 is not dirt on my lens or sensor,it's dirt sucked up Lol.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 07:50:28 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 08:04:06 pm »

Wow John these are a real treat, thats one mean looking machine close up. I wouldn't fancy that hunting me down with such an array of weapons. Cracking shots John, thanks for taking the time to sort through them.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 09:41:16 pm »

Brilliant!!! 

Where did you snap these John?
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 10:56:40 pm »

Thanks both. An awesome machine indeed,Paul. I've got some more benign helicopter photos but I'll do them tomorrow. It's been a lot of work but worth it .My only disappointment was the awful sky- just that flat grey Sc. I'll go again though on a brighter day, it doesn't need to be wall to wall sunshine but it wouldn't take much to make it 100% better than Wednesday, it's always better to have a few clouds and some blue sky as a backdrop.I quite like the silhouette photo,a bit different even though it's not as close up as some others.

Mark-they were taken on Salisbury Plain,an MOD training ground as you probably know.You'd never be allowed as near as that in many countries. 
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 11:22:30 pm »

These were worth the wait John!, all of them are stunning images, you done a fantastic job to get such fine images under a slate grey sky like that. The image with the dirt flying into the air due to the down wash (I assume that's what happened) is stunning, I also like the silhouette photo. Love the profile in 2 and 4, the frightening attack apperance in 8 and the mean back in 11 which looks like Airwolf dipping below a hill. Splendid images, you should visit airshows John as you have a real talent for shooting aircraft  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:31:08 pm »

Those are such awesome photos John, amazing that you can get that close. As you said, here in the States there is no way a civilian can see anything that close anymore. I love the first one, I hope you don't mind I emailed it to my oldest son. He was in the Marine Corps, fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan. He said if the bad guys had a view of an Apache like that, they were looking for a hole to crawl into , a deep one. They always loved to hear that distinct sound in the air, because they new all the bad guys were on the run. I use to take both my boys to all the Air Shows in Southern California when they were young to see the Blue Angles and the Thunderbirds, even got Tom Cruise's autograph at Miramar in San Diego right after he filmed "Top Gun". Anyway, thanks for the memories, my son's going to check out the rest of the photos.
Report Spam   Logged
Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:15:38 pm »

That last one is a clinker!! I would love to hear one of those things going!
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 04:58:14 pm »

Many thanks. It's going to be an anticlimax when I post the others - nothing like these for punch - such an awesome machine. I really like the silhouette one too,Martin.There's something about it but I can't say what. I think the Airshow season is over now ,I'll probably go to the one 20 miles from here- a major event-RAF Fairford.

Richard- that's great that you sent them to your son. If you (or he) want any full size just let me know - you can print and enlarge to poster size then.The ISO was down at 200 so there won't be any noise  to spoil a full sized image. Must have been exciting for the boys to get Tom Cruise'e autograph. I've seen the Thunderbirds here at the Fairford Air Show only 20 miles from me. I got stuck in traffic as we neared the venue so we got there after it had started, it's horrendous as thousands go to see it and we'd just parked up within the grounds when the Thunderbirds overflew the car park - I really  needed ear plugs- what a tremendous roar and so low too, I didn't hear them coming either so they took me by surprise - I'm sure I jumped Lol.

Lol..I knew you'd like them, Conor.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum