Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 08:37:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

St. Luragh's Church At Night

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Luragh's Church At Night  (Read 301 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2010, 04:42:58 pm »

Took these during the week since it was cloudy and I felt like using the camera, spent an hour in the old graveyard of St. Luragh's Church, Maghera after midnight on a calm quite night, there was a lovely peaceful atmosphere there. The orange glow is from sodium lights across the street catching the grounds, images are 18mm ISO800, 24-30 sec.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:48:37 pm »

It may sound morbid, but what a beautiful place, especially for taking photos. The BW image is just stunning Martin, blocking that light with the headstone would have been even better, things we don't see until it too late! Great shots, all of them.
Report Spam   Logged
Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 04:49:26 pm »

really like that black and white one
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:36:49 pm »

Thanks very much guys for the comments, I fully agree about the light in the b&w image Richard, I should have cloned that out, I saw it at the time and tried to move the camera more to the R so the light was out of frame, however I forgot that the optical viewfinder does not show the full FOV and it ended up on there, I should have used live view however I'm obsessed about having it switched off during exposures as it runs down the batteries and creates colour artifacts when left on for too long. I will know for next time - lesson learned  Smiley

It was difficult to get good shots as the ground was uneven with hills and deep holes hidden by pools of shadow, for the last 3 images I was sitting in a deep hole beside toomes with the camera on a steep grassy incline which involved adjusting all three legs to different heights to get the camera level, I had to be low to get the headstones in the foreground along with the church, it wasn't easy at all. For this reason I like the last 3 although I maybe should have took them in b&w. I think this place would be cool with low level fog or even in moonlit snow. I was back a second night when there was fog however it was so dense that I could barely see the church at all lol. Here's another...

Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 06:52:36 pm »

I think we're all agreed on the B&W Martin-its more in keeping with the location of course but  also it's not as harsh- quite spooky but it would be wouldn't it  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 06:57:20 pm »

I again agree with John, BW seems only fitting for a cemetery scene like these. You really did a great job for all the hoops and obstacles you had to go through to get these photos, and I suppose the ground was damp also!
Report Spam   Logged
Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 07:37:09 pm »

Great shots Martin!
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:14:03 pm »

Excellent photography Martin and what a wonderful location, you have composed the shots nicely. I can see further trips here for you over the winter.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 09:38:11 pm »

Very good shots Martin! Cheesy

That churchyard with frost and snow, hmmm, will be good Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum