Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 07:31:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Gloucester Fog/Inversion - Sunday

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gloucester Fog/Inversion - Sunday  (Read 245 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:05:15 pm »

Well, at 7.30 this morning  there was no inversion/fog (a bit misty)but as the sun heated up the air above the ground it developed ,so I forewent my regular Andrew Marr show (Richard-it's a politics chat show every Sunday at 9-10am. ) ..and went out. However what's so disappointing g is that the fog around the cathedral was disappearing before my ,I  had to change lenses and camera ( I needed reach)  and rushed the photo and didn't cheek the ISO- it was 500 Ugh. That should be fine for the Cannon 7D but  there's a graininess  about it  so I'll do this again,won't be too long I'm sure at this time of the year but I decided to post it anyway as it's not  really that bad (says my wife but she would say that wouldn't she lol) - it's more to do with me but it was very  annoying as it was unnecessary. I've duly beaten myself up Lol.

Do you think the cathedral would have been better placed a bit to one side or the other, it's rather central I think ?

Richard..I took 850  helicopter photos on Wednesday,including a load of Apaches. I haven't forgotten your point re. them not being the US version.I'll have them up very soon-and tell you what I found out in that thread rather than here.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 04:53:05 pm »

ohh that 2nd one is great, looks like  lovely day in the progess Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
rjgjr
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 05:12:56 pm »

I do appreciate you filling me in on names, places, programs and such as I have no idea what they are most of the time, it really helps me out. Those are great photos John, the second one is a stunner, just floating in air, graininess or not, I do it all the time, my reasoning is old age, that can't be your reason. Really, my problem is whenever I' m done taking astro shots, I never change the settings back to normal when I'm done for the night, always a problem when one only has one camera. The Apache question was no big deal, I was just wondering if those were not so much U.S. versions, but if they were U.S. pilots, which you probably have no way of knowing, unless your contact knows. When you get around to it! Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

The 2nd image is a stunner John!, I honestly think that should be sent into your local tv station/weather site as it really captivates the dramatic side of the high pressure affecting the UK at the moment, I bet they would use it!. As for placing it more to one side, in most cases that probably is best however I think this composition works perfectly!.

Just to be picky, if you don't mind me saying so - I think if the trees where not there to the lower L it would look even more dramatic however their presence doesn't take anything away from the image at all because they provide a sense of scale and distance not to mention the colours. Hope you get another chance to shoot it again as this as so much potential and worth re-shooting over and over until you get the image which you like best  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 08:12:42 pm »

Ah-not so bad then, the cathedral shot. Many thanks. ,much appreciated.  I've just this second mailed it to the paper,Martin. I'll crop the trees out and see what it looks like. I'm always pleased if someone can see something that would improve a shot.

Richard-you're probably viewing the Apaches by now,my understanding now is that they are British pilots. Re. explaining, things like that show, I think it's important to tell you things like like  so you'll  get a full understanding  and enjoy the read. I really must check the settings before I shoot-When I get back home I'm tired and think I'll do it the next day then the next day I need to dash out early,like this occasion and forget. I'd have been ok had I not needed to rush before that fog dissipated.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:26:01 pm »

Fantastic shots John!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum