Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 03:48:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Cold Plunge Next Week for UK/Ireland?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold Plunge Next Week for UK/Ireland?  (Read 303 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »

Thought I would post this for fun, GFS and other models are now indicating a persistant Nly flow across Ireland and UK next week with cold temps and precip. The Netweather GFS run for Wed Oct 20th is showing snow, sleet, and wet snow across parts of N. Ireland, Scotland, and N. England!. If this were to actually happen then it could be the earliest snow we have ever had - record breaking. It's still way too far out and will probably change before then so consider it low risk, however it makes interesting viewing for those Winter lovers out there.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 09:16:02 pm »

It's good isn't it!  I noticed this checking through the pressure charts on Netweather.  With a big ridge of high pressure out in the mid atlantic, high pressure out over eatern europe / russia and low pressure in the north sea its the perfect recipe for a northerly airstream.  For me, personally, sat in the middle of england I have a feeling a chilly persistant wind may well just take the edge off any frost forming proper - wind chill I expect to bring a stark reminder that winter is knocking on our door.  My personal take, looking wider afield nationally is that the 'tops' will likely see some snow (or wintry ppt) falling.  I do wonder though if this pressure pattern is giving us a clue to something we will see more often as winter develops proper...
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 04:12:14 pm »

Interesting stuff Mark isn't it, I agree it will probably be high areas which get a dusting, the latest charts still look interesting for Wed...

Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 06:35:55 pm »

Metcheck have announced a 'cold spell' next week, so looks like confidence is relatively high on this thing.  Gonna have to have a surf around some other charts later on this evening me thinks  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 09:06:19 pm »

The Telegraph are covering it now...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/8061737/Snow-to-hit-Britain.html
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:28:02 pm »

Good grief! thats very early i must say. If it does come to fruition MARTIN maybe a trip for you up to the Sperrins during it, you lucky so and so man!! The last early winter event here was when we had a white Halloween night in 2008 got a dusting
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:05:13 pm »

I remember that very well Padraig, there was 6" of snow here on Oct 28-29th 2008 which was the earliest snow fall I've ever seen. I hope to get it again on Wed, however if it actually does snow will it lay? - difficult to say at this stage. The camera will be ready as always, no doubt Glenshane will get something...
Report Spam   Logged

Padraig OBrien

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:22:12 pm »

Wow 6 inches thats a lot for october well done lol. I wouldnt say it would lay very well i mean its gonna be a northerly or a north westerly, with those sort of winds its a situation where snow may settle - during the night, but then when morning comes that dreaded melt begins because temps are able to rise a little (in those type of winds) when morning comes , when you look at last winter the snow lay for weeks because we had a solid easterly and obviously it was January. But i mean the time of year has to be taken into account too (October) ya know its not a time that you would expect snow to start falling in Ireland but it did it in 2008 so we should be hopefull i guess!  Cheesy.

I just hope the winter cold doesnt give all its power now , i want it to wait till at least end of december to really let loose like last winter then we'd all be laughing!! Grin

I wouldnt say i have a hope of seeing snow next week but there is very high mountains nearby 900 Metres asl in some parts so maybe cue a trip to those regions maybe on the cards for me by next weekend i hope!!

Cheers

Padraig
Report Spam   Logged

LG Renoir KC910 8 Mp Camera Phone

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum