Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:02:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Guest 'Star' In Cetus - Oct 10th-11th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guest 'Star' In Cetus - Oct 10th-11th  (Read 200 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:32:20 pm »

Excuse the poor images, they were taken through dense fog at ground level. On Oct 10/11th a 'guest star' appeared in Cetus before 03.00 BST below Mira and remained visible for 10 min's before fading from view, it showed no obvious naked eye motion during that period which was strange. A deep crop shows the trail of the stars however the suspect had no motion at all. Here's a few images...

On Oct 11/12th it appeared back again in the same place as before at 03.08 BST, it faded after a few min's and vanished. A few min's later it returned and was briefly brigher than Mira, it remained visible for 20 min's. Another crop of the latest image shows 5 other fainter stationary 'stars' arranged in a horizontal line in Cetus to the R of the main one, again showing no motion at all. I thought it was strange to see this phenomena for two nights in a row at the approx same time in the same constellation. It's obvious that this is some kind of sat, however I would love to know which type it is?. Worth keeping an eye out tonight around 03.00 incase it comes back again.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:34:44 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 04:36:43 pm »

Weird!

I suppose you've checked that the other "suspects" aren't just hot pixels?
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 05:31:09 pm »

I'm fairly certain the other 5 stars aren't hot pixels but I can't rule that out completey, I would need to take another tonight to be sure on that, most of the hox pixels on my camera are red anyway. The main bright 'star' is real though as I could see it visually on both nights, have a look tonight Brian around that same time incase it comes back again, 3 nights in a row would be asking for too much but you never know. If it's not a geo then what else could it be?, spy sats?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum