Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 12:23:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Nose up

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nose up  (Read 289 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:29:09 pm »

The Apache was back today and sort of hovered over the house - they must have seen me pointing the white lens at them again - do you think they said  to the pilot, 'give him a nose up' Lol.

What a  difference today,though.The sky was grey and the light not so good,the detail isn't as good despite a tweak.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »

Well done John, that is one 'mean' looking image, and I mean that in the nicest possible way, the light really shows the Apache in it's low light natural fighting enviornment, the image looks like it was snapped during actual combat - nice!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 07:35:05 pm »

Cheers,Martin. I'm off to Salisbury Plain tomorrow where they're flying from and I'm told that where I'm going will be within 10-15ft. of the helicopters as they land and take off so here's  hoping and other photographers will most likely be there too.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 10:42:42 pm »

I assume those are the WA-64 Westland Apaches and not the U.S. Boeing version. I was reading on Wikipedia about them and was just curious if you had seen the markings on them. Basically the same machine other than a folding rotor blade modifcation for carrier landings and the British use Rolls-Royce engines rather than General Electeric. The I got to thinking if there were any U.S. military installations left in England, Wikipedia just says there are over 1,000 U.S. personnel in 5 RAF Bases. Don't know what that is all about and guess I shouldn't be concerned with it. Great Pictures though. Hope you get some great ones tomorrow!
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 10:54:27 pm »

Richard- the person who told me what it was (bottom of the original posted photo ) says it's the AH-64D Longbow (not WA-64) and he really knows his stuff and that's the US version.The two photographers that were  at the Exercise area alongside me today when these same Apaches flew around us  also said it was the AH-64D Longbow and explained  to me how the radar dome on the top can 'peep' above the trees without exposing the body of the helicopter, I think we can be sure it's the US version UNLESS it's just the engines that have been replaced-I'lllask him.

I got back home at 8.00pm today after spending all of the afternoon on the Salisbury Plain Exercise area and  as I mentioned,the Apache's were there up close along with the Lynx. I'll sort the photos out tomorrow.Had to endure a cold easterly too.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:21:08 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum