Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:38:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The rest of the Owl Centre Birds

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The rest of the Owl Centre Birds  (Read 332 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:43:28 pm »

These are the other photos I took at the  Owl Centre (one is a Buzzard of course)  I really went to improve my ' birds in flight' skills. Manual, Av or TV ? I went for Av a lot of the time but some in manual. Big debate about it. The birds would be in a tree at the far end  of the field (or with Handler number two) and the handler on the other side of the field   or down in the grass with tit bits so we knew the flight path in advance. He was in the grass in the photo of the Buzzard about to land on the 'footpath' sign,there was a tit bit on there. Unless you're a prof. bird photographer you'd be unlikely to get the opportunity to photograph them so close and in flight so, these photos for me are more about getting the shot right than having a photo of them in itself.  I've  recently seen 4 Buzzards  in the wild but as I moved in their direction  they moved further away ,it was like chasing a mirage. At least they get to fly in open fields and the Buzzard is free to go but he  chooses  to stay

The Litle owl.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Danny Power

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 06:13:13 pm »

These are out of this world John. Absolutley excellent job done here. I could look at these all day. They remind me of being in primary school and a guy used to come in and do a presentation on birds and we had the opportunity to buy his photos, these are much better though
Report Spam   Logged

My Web Hosting site- www.powerwebhostinguk.com

My blog- www.natureunleashed.wordpress.com (this will become a proper site shortly)
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:44:26 pm »

Amazing shots John, love the buzzard coming in to land and the last one is a cracker with a lovely reflection in the owls eyes.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:37:17 am »

Beautiful shots John!  Where abouts is the owl centre?  I've been to a couple of the red kite sanctuarys in wales and really enjoyed them.
Mark Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 02:07:44 pm »

Many thanks. It was a good day, really.

here's the website,mark. It's on the outskirts of Gloucester on a new(ish) dual carriageway from Cole Avenue through to the Ross road,it's ion the left after you go over the river bridge. http://www.barnowl.co.uk/
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 03:07:34 pm »

These are beautiful images!, the little Owl capture is a stunner  Smiley. I would imagine the Owl in flight to be an extremely difficult subject to capture while freezing the Bird without underexposure - challenging indeed however no problem for you John  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:16:28 pm »

Grin Thanks Martin, you're too kind . I did delete a few you know Lol.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 08:19:59 pm »

Fabulous shots John. Well done. Looks like it was a great day out too. Hard to pick a favourite, I think number 7 is very natural looking and I love the one of the little owl in the hole.
Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 09:25:14 pm »

Cheers,John. What I should have done with the Little owl was to have taken a shot further out so the hole in the trunk would show just how little he/she is, about the size of a pigeon, I'd say.The man next to me had a £4300 canon 1D 1V and a  £7200 600mm Canon prime lens and the camera shoots 10fps. ( my 7D does 8,so not too far behind-except in cost Lol)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum