Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 12:56:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Wednesday's sunset

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wednesday's sunset  (Read 270 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:03:54 pm »

Just managed to get there in time to catch this. The high pressure moving in from the west and the back of today's weather moving east. I just thought the light was just right to catch the city lights here and there.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:08:08 am »

Lovely shot John! The back of this front was good indeed.  I was missing the sunset colours that you got.  Is that the Malverns on the horizon?
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:53:40 am »

Thanks,Mark.Yes, that's the northern tip of the Malverns.

I got stuck behind a tractor on the way to my location -ugh- and as I was arriving I saw the structure was even more stark than in this photo,then I had to get my gear out but still managed this shot but it very quickly lost it's punch.
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 03:42:46 pm »

That's a beauty of an image John!, there's nothing better than seeing the back of a frontal sytem with clearing sky behind at sunset, I love the way the clouds can be see going all the way to the horizon which really adds depth to the front, if that front had convective elements you might have had big mammatus bags on it. You have a fantastic view point there!.
Report Spam   Logged

Danny Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 04:22:12 pm »

Excellent photo John. Love it.
Report Spam   Logged

My Web Hosting site- www.powerwebhostinguk.com

My blog- www.natureunleashed.wordpress.com (this will become a proper site shortly)
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 05:40:35 pm »

Thanks both.  As you say Martin ,the way it tapers down into the distance is very attractive. I sent it to our local TV news because they show these photos as a backdrop to the forecast, they had one of mine up there so maybe this one will make it.  Mammatus ?..now that would have been a treat.
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 11:20:17 pm »

Very beautiful and colorful image John. Fronts, or Backs, as this one don't get much straighter than this.
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:37:56 pm »

Great image indeed John, i had a great view of this well defined edge on my flight from Gatwick to Belfast on Wed evening-unfortunately the camera was packed away  Sad
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 05:03:56 pm »

Thanks Richard and Paul. I don't normally sit looking at my own photo and think,you know what, that's a really nice photo Lol..but I did with this one because of the wonderful sunset colour contrasting with the pale clear blue  sky and those Malverns Hills just under the northernmost end of the retreating front.

Paul.  re. not having the camera handy ion board I kicked myself too but it hurt a bit more .In 2009 I was on a flight from Chicago to OKC and as we neared OKC  I saw hundreds of turrets,more ( like  turrets than towers) for miles,  like stalactites but going up instead of hanging down)and my camera was in my bag in the overhead and because of the updraughts we were told to keep the safety belts fastened . I think I'll keep  it with me next year but that was a sight I'll probably never see again, people wouldn't be able to see them from the ground as they sat on  the whole-sky cloud cover.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum