Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 02:45:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

103P/Hartley - Naked Eye Comet In October

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: 103P/Hartley - Naked Eye Comet In October  (Read 11316 times)
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »

Well caught John - nice to see Hartley in relation to the Double Cluster there - hoping for a clear night on 7th or 8th to get the close approach.

Yes, my camera was sat atop my LXD75 mount for this shot.

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2010, 02:57:56 pm »

Great image Paul, those exposures worked out very well and the tracking really helped alot. Looking forward to seeing those Hartley-Double Cluster encounter images. Looks like it could clear up tonight again at some stage behind the front.  Smiley

Great images again John, the sky was incredible last night and Hartley looked so much better at the zenith and seen without optical aid half a dozen times in that stunning sky. I also saw many bright meteors, several were borderline fireballs. Top quality night  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2010, 03:53:35 pm »

I really need to start stacking

Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
rjgjr
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2010, 04:41:44 pm »

For once our weathermen were wrong for the good, the skies cleared last night to a less than pristine sky, but it got the job done.
No chance to see Hartley naked eye because the Milky Way was barely visible which is unusual here on a moonless night, suppose to be better mid week when Hartley nears the Double Cluster. Keep my fingers crossed. Just want to make a comment on what beautiful images all of you are posting and they should only get better in the next couple of weeks. Paul, that guided one is exceptional!!

50 mm 13 sec f/1.8 1600 ISO

50 mm cropped 30 sec f/1.8 1600 ISO

« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:44:02 pm by Richard Glenn » Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2010, 05:58:51 pm »

Excellent stuff Richard!, the 50mm full frame capture is great showing the intense green coma and Cass standing on end - great composition. Glad to see the forecasters got it wrong, I hope the weather improves for you this week, it would be great to see your results when Hartley is near the Double Cluster. Keen them coming...  Smiley

Conor, nice one, looks like you are zoomed in quite a bit for that one, the comet came out great!  Smiley, lovely green colour to the coma which really stands out. That sky last night was amazing.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2010, 09:09:32 pm »

More brilliant additions guys!   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2010, 11:22:22 pm »

Couple of shots from tonight, is it just my imagination or does Hartley look even better than last night?, could see it easily with the naked eye. First image is with a huge wind turbine in the frame, second is over the top of Glen Chapel.

Report Spam   Logged

John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2010, 12:50:25 am »

Great shots Richard, at last you getting a go at this guy.

Martin, I'm not long in there and with blinkered vision I was 99% sure I could see it with the NE. I took a couple of wide shots but they're still in camera as I'm doing a long process on an image of the moon taken some time back. On that I would say it is slightly brighter than last night. Long may it continue!
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2010, 01:40:49 am »

Ive been following this thread with great interest, everyone has been getting some brilliant results and amazing shots of the comet.  So on Sunday night i thought i might try and catch this guy albeit from my back garden in Omagh.  My only trump card was a newly acquired 50mm 1.8 lens.  Light pollution is evident from the orange tinge but not a bad result.

Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2010, 02:14:50 am »

Those are great shots Martin, love the background effects you have added. It looks like a clear night here shaping up so I'll be out checking things out. Starting to get a nip in the air, mid to low 40's, that's a nip here on the Oregon Coast. Quite a difference from the 116 degrees I had last week in Southern California.

Glad to hear you picked up the 50 1.8 Paul. I think you'll be very pleased with the results you receive for such an inexpensive lens. It really does pay to try and get to some dark skies though, that's when you'll really see the difference! Great picture!
Report Spam   Logged
rjgjr
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2010, 08:40:54 am »

We had beautiful, dark skies here on the Oregon Coast tonight so I was bound and determined to get some more shots of Comet Hartley before the weather turns again. I've been storing my Astronomy Club's 10" reflector in my garage and set up a rough alignment and turned on the drive. I jury-rigged my camera to it (some of you would probably have a heart-attack to see it). I couldn't see through the viewfinder so I was kind of shooting blind. A lot of shots of nothing but stars, but here are the best of the lot. Comet Hartley was seen easily with the naked eye, and shown fantastic with the 10". The next weeks should prove very interesting if Hartley continues to brighten as expected.

50 mm 85 sec f/1.8 1600 ISO  Upper left of M31

50 mm 25 sec f/1.8 1600 ISO  Upper right of the Double Cluster

Report Spam   Logged
DaveH64

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2010, 08:49:27 am »

Well done getting it caught Paulster. Nice clear pictures Richard , The double cluster is very clear , Spaceweather saying comet will only be 1° from the cluster on the 7th should make for some good shots.
Report Spam   Logged

Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2010, 10:12:22 am »

Looks like this comet is beginning to brighten up a bit, though I still haven't seen it naked eye. Here's a stack of 6 x 10secs ISO1600 with the 50mm wide open at f1.7 from last night....

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18:09 pm »

Thanks Dave and Richard.    Richard i will be getting out to a dark sky location on the next clear night to hopefully get a better go at it.  More great shots too Richard, M31 looks so clear Smiley

Martin the composition with the wind turbine is class-great idea.  Smiley

Great shot again Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2010, 10:41:59 pm »

Well done Paul on catching Hartley from under the bad LP - that takes some going and you still got the great green colour too. Hope to see more of your images  Smiley

Richard, excellent images and the detail/resolution is simply stunning  Smiley

Paul, loving these tracked and stacked images, I see Hartley is making a beeline for the Double Cluster on your image - everything is set for a great conjunction, just hope we get the clear skies now.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum