Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 04:49:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dr Brian Marsden (1937 - 2010)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr Brian Marsden (1937 - 2010)  (Read 443 times)
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2010, 05:43:52 pm »

Dear all,

I have just learned that my good friend Brian Marsden passed away eariler today. Brian had been a great friend over many years and had a hand in all the asteroid namings I have done. In fact I had an email from him only last week saying how pleased he was that the evening for 30558 Jamesoconnor went so well and he was delighted to have been involved. I am still in a state of shock at the news, but I know you will want to join me in passing our sincere regrets to his wife and family at this very sad time.

Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 05:59:55 pm »

John, you beat me to it, I just read the terrible news on the comets mailing list there now. I truly am shocked and saddened to hear of Brian's passing. He was one of those small number of figures who I have always looked up to, in truth he was a hero of mine, there's no one else with such a phenomenal memory and a true expert on comet and asteroid orbits. He was also known as the Cosmic Cop, - Dr Brian Marsden you will be truly missed, rest in peace. The astronomical world will never forget such a legend!

Here's the MPC bulletin...

http://www.minorplanetcenter.org/mpec/K10/K10W10.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:28:38 pm by martinastro » Report Spam   Logged

davegrennan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:49:30 pm »

Indeed very sad news.  Brian was a very generous man with his time and his amazing and encyclopaedic knowledge.  Brian was instrumental in the naming process for my mum's asteroid and I will be forever grateful to him for that.  I was shocked when John McC phoned to pass on the sad news.  John I know he was a very close personal friend to you and you also have my sympathies at this time.

Ár dheis Dé go raibh a anam dilís.

Dave.
Report Spam   Logged

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
------------------------------
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
http://www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:56:35 pm »

I am sorry to say I never had the honour of meeting Brian, but from his record and the sentiments expressed here it is clear we have lost a dear friend.

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 01:19:34 am »

Having just read your post John, I, too, am very saddened to hear about the passing of Dr Marsden. Like Paul, I never had the honour of meeting him but often had the pleasure of reading about him in various astronomy publications over the years.

His vast contribution to astronomy will always be remembered and my thoughts are with his family as well as with you John, being a close & personal friend.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 07:32:07 am »

Saddening news indeed...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: