Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 04:15:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Day 2 (Sat.) Severn Bore.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Day 2 (Sat.) Severn Bore.  (Read 252 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2010, 08:56:56 pm »

As I mentioned in the first post re. the Bore I had the wrong lens 24-105,poor light and because I had the wrong lens I  had to crop heavily contributing to the noise so I got myself back there Saturday. It was a 3-star this time (Friday's was a 4-Star) but as often happens the 3 was at least as good as the 4. So these were taken with the 100-400  lens in good light and the difference is obvious. I wondered about posting more but I thought you'd be interested in seeing just what a difference good light and especially the right lens with good reach ,can do.

With a couple I was able to get the shutter speed up to 1/1200 sec at f7.1 ISO 400. The sun kept going behind cloud so I didn't want to take a chance and kept the ISO on 400 hence the good shutter speed.

Richard. As you liked photo 1 from Friday (the US Surfer)  especially for you  lol..I've included  shots of one of our  UK girls and these last photos were taken near the end of the wave's journey at Gloucester and they got out of the water right by me. Oddly enough I didn't see any surfers at Minsterworth (3 miles away,then I drove to Maisemore) but there were a couple where I was at Maisemore (Gloucester-Over Bridge) waiting for it and then  these surfers getting out. Bit of a mystery.

I've never seen a surfer without a wet suit. lol. Should he really  be doing that I wonder ? There's quite a lot of debris around.

Re. this first one,the one with the  helmet has a mini camera attached to the front ,I see.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:13 pm »

Thats a great collection of shots John, the other lens makes a big difference!
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 06:38:14 pm »

Great action shots John!, nice work catching those surfers in the middle of action and getting the facial expressions which say so much. The lens is perfect for that subject and range. Really wish we had a bore event like that here to photograph. Thanks for sharing the experience with us.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 11:25:09 pm »

Superb shots John, the boats shots are sharp and you had some nice light on the 2nd day. The girl surfer is pretty cute too Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 12:57:24 pm »

Thanks - I'm happy with these now.

Yes, Paul, she's a pretty lass indeed, natural  too,if she can get out of a river looking like that she must look stunning  with make-up lol.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum