Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 12:19:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

A Wet Storm Chase - Sept 7th

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Wet Storm Chase - Sept 7th  (Read 306 times)
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:40 pm »

Here's a few images from a local storm chase on Tues, I met Declan O'Doherty and together we chased convection around the roads between Maghera and Tobermore. It was a fun day - driving through flooded roads with large waves of water splashing against the windows, intense showers, a big gust front with great whale's mouth and flooded fields everywhere - but yet again no thunder!. I missed the big storms in Antrim/Ballymena. Images show the guster and whale's mouth, that's not a lake below it - that's a flooded field.

Above image was where I was interrogated by a farmer who wanted to know who I was, what I was doing, and wanted to see the images on my camera, quite a cross guy who actually ran up to me as if I was doing something wrong.

Above is a flooded field under the gust front

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:44:34 pm »

Brilliant images Martin, very nice whales mouth images. I really like the first one with the dramatic sky, downpour in the distance and wet fields. Great flood shots too!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 11:47:30 pm »

Thanks very much Dennis and Paul - wish I'd get more days of action, it's been a tough fight with mother nature this year to catch anything decent.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:28:37 pm »

A great day out,Martin,wonderful images..maybe the farmer thought you were up to no good.. A farmer came to me one day,I was on the edge of his field and he probably saw me from the farmhouse across the fields. As soon as he saw it was a camera I had not a gun he was ok-I was trying to photograph partridge  on his field with a 40D and a 100-400 so you imagine how I felt when he took a small point and shoot and showed me a great shot of a buzzard devouring a crow Lol. He then left me to it.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum