Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 01:03:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

August 31st Sun Dogs.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: August 31st Sun Dogs.  (Read 228 times)
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:04:13 am »

These two very bright sun dogs were caught August 31st before sunset. They have to be the brightest I have ever seen. This image was taken with the fish eye add on lens which got the lot. There is actually the makings of a double sun dog on the right which I hardly noticed at the time. The close-up images are very colourful. We had more this evening (Sept 1st) but not nearly as good.
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:34:47 am »

Those are very intense indeed, great capture John. Had a slight one in my neck of the woods yesterday, but nothing compared to that.
Report Spam   Logged
John9929
Global Moderator

Maghaberry, N.Ireland.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:10:22 am »

that right hand one was reported in Bristol (England) as a daylight fireball! even by a so called weatherman! Maybe Martin still has the link to the article? Our BIMS list started as an Amber alert until I put them right then it quickly turned to Plastic Alert? :-)
Report Spam   Logged

John9929.
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:46:11 pm »

I think it's a sad state of affairs when a weather expert mistook a sundog for a daylight fireball lol, I think the media should be contacting amateurs since they know so much more about the sky than many professionals. I checked the link John but amazingly it has vanished from the BBC site, when I click on it its says 'error - page not found'.  Smiley

Love the image above, the wide angle lens really does justice to it, those sundogs looks extremely intense - a beautiful optical display!
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:46:17 pm »

Well caught John  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum