Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 05:09:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Sheltering from the wind

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sheltering from the wind  (Read 279 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2010, 11:30:54 am »

We were at Bracelet Bay,The Mumbles , south west Wales last Tuesday and I just couldn't resist this shot of grandma (not mine) sitting at the play area watching her  daughter and grandchildren. She was protecting herself from a strong wind. I bet Richard never sees this lol.

Richard..you might find it difficult to comprehend but this is not an unusual image,the elderly here can be seen like this at some,most of our popular seaside resorts when the weather is a bit inclement - back in the 50's and 60's when the sun was hot men(sitting on the beach) would wear a knotted, in each corner, handkerchief on their head Lol. We're certainly an odd bunch.  Grin

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:36:14 pm »

Very interesting photo John. Was it cold at the time, or was she just concerned with the wind? We definitly have the wind here along our beaches, so much so that tourists build small shelters out of the abundance of driftwood found nearby. The shelters are really quite inticate and well built, I guess they think they drive all this way to the coast, they're not going to let the wind ruin their day. These driftwood shelters move from week to week, some family tears it down, moves it 10' and rebuilds it the way they want it for the day. I'll grab some photos one of these days. Thanks for your photo!
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:27:30 pm »

This is a great capture John, a good example of how a single image can say so much! - it looks like a BBC photograph  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:39:36 pm »

just the wind,Richard,it was a lovely day.I have some photos taken near this lady which IU can post now along with the gulls battling the wind.

Lol..do you think they'd screen it,Martin ?

Have you noticed how they (the BBC) keep saying that it's going to be 'damp' This is their new word,whatever happened to good old rain and drizzle ?
Report Spam   Logged
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:15:31 pm »

lol John, don't get me started on what images they should and shouldn't screen, you know the rest  Smiley

I also noticed a while back they didn't want to commit to forecasting a clear night so instead they said it would be 'dry' or 'wet' instead.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 05:35:00 pm »

Lol, a classic image of a British summer!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum