Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 01:36:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Aquila and Scutum Dustfields

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aquila and Scutum Dustfields  (Read 261 times)
Keith g

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2010, 04:32:36 pm »

Hi all, I'm always taken aback when viewing these constellations of the summer milkyway either by naked eye or with binoculars when seeing the amount of galactic dust running through them. Here is a shot of the area showing the dust, and it leaves your mind wondering at what is hidden benind.

As you can see, the dust reddens the starlight of billions of stars beyond. Either side of the dust are countless blue (and possibly younger) stars located in the next spiral arm of our galaxy looking inward. This is 25x4min shots. I'd love sometime to go even deeper   Smiley

www.flickr.com/photos/79652716@N00/49272...es/l/in/photostream/

Keith..
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 07:54:51 pm »

Absolutely stunning Kieth, you really are the master of these rich Milky Way cloudscapes, the detail is amazing!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:48:14 pm »

Beautiful shot Keith - it has a very 'natural' look to it (i.e. it hasn't been 'over processed').

Not sure of your location but one area I would dearly like to catch if I was further south is the Rho Ophiuchus complex near to Antares. I've never seen so many different colours in a single area of sky.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
rjgjr
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 12:17:47 am »

Breathtaking image Keith. What lens/and or equipment do you use for shots like these?
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
Global Moderator

Larne, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:44:34 am »

This is excellent Keith! taken from Ireland or somewhere further south? And from a great dark site too I guess. Agreed with others about the processing - spot on - bringing out loads of detail without being overdone.

Paul.
Report Spam   Logged

Keith g

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 10:04:24 am »

Thanks Gents, I'm very happy with the result of it all. I am living here in Cavan, my home is located in very dark skies at night  Cheesy

My set up is simple - I took this shot on August 15th under very clear skies, this is a stack of 25 x 4minutes exposure and 15 dark frames at ISO800, f3.5 using my canon 40D (unmodified) and my 24-70mm L lens at 32mm, all this was mounted on a very accurately polar aligned astrotrac mount.

Processing was with Photoshop just apply a little median filter which brings out the dust better.

As for Rho Ophiuchus - it's on the list  Wink

Keith..
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 11:23:37 pm »

Top shot! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: