Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 06:27:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

First Macro

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Macro  (Read 322 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:45:29 pm »

It was sunny but a wee bit breezy and I thought I must try the macro lens.I also wanted to see how the Manfrotto 454 Focusing rail worked-it allows millimetre movemets forwards and backward-last time I tried I had to kick the tripod leg Lol.-very professional.  http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/articles/canon_180_macro_review.htm

Please feel free to give any advice. The white flower is the Hollyhock and the red  and the  purple/blue/mauve  ? are Impatiens  (which is  what  I  suffer with as the breeze blows  Grin )

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:48:27 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:20:27 pm »

Great shots all around john. I have no experience with macro any further than zooming my 50-250 all the way in on a flower, so these are absolutely great, will be even better with a little less breeze as you mention.
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 10:03:30 pm »

Thanks,Richard. Hopefully someone with macro experience can make some suggestions as to how I can improve the technique.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 11:59:02 pm »

Lovely shots John!  Look perfect to me Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:28:28 pm »

Great shots, marco on flowers always works well. look forward to seeing more mate
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 03:24:17 pm »

John, these are absolutely beautiful, 3,4,5 and 6 are wonderful images, the detail, saturation, and exposure are perfect!, no easy task with a breeze blowing!, as Conor said, I look forward to seeing more.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 02:42:07 pm »

Many thanks. Been away for two separate days so not been on here.  One day looking for wildlife in Somerset and the othet at the Miombles SW wales.

Not perfect,Mark lol. I wondered what the two dark lines were in photo 2. so I went out this morning to have a look,they're the struts of the greenhouse. We live and learn,I need to take more care. I tried to take the photo with my 100-400 at 180mm(same as the lens that took these) but it doesn't work. I was able to get these at about 40 inches to get so much of the flower in but to get it in focus with the 100-400 at 180mm I had to go to 97 inches.I need to see if I can find out why, the construction of the 180mm I suppose but it's got me hooked  Smiley I need to try   different subjects  close up like Conor does and John jgs.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:45:28 pm by JohnC » Report Spam   Logged
JohnMurphy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 05:07:36 pm »

Excellent first Macros.
I'm no expert at Macro photography but here are some pointers that have helped me.
1. The usual tripod and remote trigger are essential and mirror lockup if you want to get really into it.
2. Set an aperature ratio to give you enough depth of field for the area of interest in the shot, but not too much that your background doesn't blur (usually not an issue).
3. Using Manual focus will usually do away the wrong points of interest being selected by AF.

Report Spam   Logged

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Check out my Photos
JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 11:15:11 pm »

Thanks John.I can't be doing too badly after all..The only thing you recommended that I didn't do was mirror lock up and it's easy  to go into the menu and enable it-thanks for taking the trouble, I'll remember that mirror lock up next time.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum