Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 19, 2024, 05:46:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Amish people-TV tonight

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amish people-TV tonight  (Read 486 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: August 08, 2010, 06:32:18 pm »

I've watched two episodes of this fascinating series. A group of young people from the Amish sect in Indiana (I think) visited the UK and spent time here, there and everywhere with all sorts of people. Would you believe it, they (the TV people rather than the hosts) took them to Soho-..Richard..Soho is the sleaze Mecca of the UK in London. They couldn't understand why kids sit infront of games computers instead of working -.They are a delight to watch, so polite and the eldest one, a young lady has an aura of calmness  about her which is contagious (for me anyway). They don't criticise either. Tonight they visit the occupants of a scottish castle but I heard a saw a clip and the owner spoke with an english accent not scottish. I don't agree with how they live according to the Bible and they restrict the lives of not just themselves as adults but the children-they educate them themselves but that young lady i mentioned-her family left the ultra-orthodox sect. to join another Amish group who allowed a bit of freedom. Their values  and work ethic are what many people would envy but the downside is too extreme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

5 minute video  http://www.5min.com/Video/The-Amish-People-in-the-USA-237248246

If anyone can find time to watch and has read this post it will be worth spending one hour doing so. It's on Channel 4 from 8.00pm to 9.00pm- apologies for the late 'heads -up' I wasn't sure whether something like this would have a wide appeal but  see if you give it a go.It' son every Sunday at this time-not sure how many more to go though.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rjgjr
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 09:13:36 pm »

Thanks for the topic on this John. I have heard of Soho in London, but only to the extent that I have heard of other areas in London. I have seen programs about the Amish on other networks, you're correct, a very strict and extreme way of life. The Moromons were the same way for many years, but have really "lightened up" from what I have seen and heard. I believe the Amish are mainly located in Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania from what I recall and are a real throwback to the 1800's. They do have small communities all over, there is one about a hundred miles from me here in Oregon, but nothing like the **** communities in the upper midwest. Thanks
Report Spam   Logged
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »

Another fascinating programme.They lived with a very wealthy family-one castle inScotland,one house in Oxford where they had 15 horses !! 15 horses - I couldn't afford to keep one.They used them to play polo. Their teenage kids went to this school,Richard   http://www.stowe.co.uk/house-and-grounds/a-history-of-stowe-house  Take a look at 'See Inside This House' over on the right and have a look round. The fees are..wait for it Lol..3 terms,boarding at £9130 per term $14,608 x 3 = $43,824 per year ..£27,390 As a day only pupil it's £6620 $10,592 a term...and they can stil have two massive homes,15 horses and two daughters. What on earth must the Amish kids have thought. The editing is brilliant. They showed this school in all it's glory and said that the Amish don't have anything like this and showed a small wooden building and few books back home.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum