Astronomy, Photography and Weather
April 20, 2024, 02:41:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Perseids 2010

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Perseids 2010  (Read 1925 times)
Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:04:33 pm »

Yes, its that time of year again! meteor observing season. Figured I'd start a thread since I saw a few of them last night. Haven't heard much about this years shower, but the moon should be of no interference after 10pm! I'll plan to be out every clear night until the peak for a couple hours at least. Mike H was telling me that he saw dozens last night, so sounds like activity is really starting to get going! anyone have any more info on the event?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:33:54 pm »

Thanks for starting a thread on this year's showers Tyler, it looks to be a good one this year with a Moon which won't mess with things. ZHR is approx 100/hr, all we need is the clear skies now. Like yourself and Mike, I plan on doing alot of patrols with the camera on the nights leading up to the peak in the hope of getting a fireball. Must get some more info on this posted here soon. Cheers  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 08:35:47 pm »

Sky & Telescope have a nice article on their site about this years Perseids...

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/observingblog/99304684.html
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 12:59:14 am »

Thanks Tyler for starting this thread & to you, Martin, for the link.

I would love to get a stack like the picture by Gain Lee on the S&T link. So far success has eluded me.  Sad

Incidentally Gain Lee's astro images were one of the foremost inspirations for me getting an AstroTrac. Checkout his images on his personal website (he also has a page devoted to storm chasing, Martin  Grin) here.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:32:49 am »

Andy, thanks very much for the link, I can see why you have been inspired by Gain Lee's photography, his images of storms, Milky Way, Comets, Birds etc are amazing. He has a lovely b&w portrait image of Sir. Patrick Moore. His capture of the Airbus plane is stunning!
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 09:03:34 am »

Thanks for the link Martin!

Looking forward to this years Perseids, definitely gonna try some photography of it - see if I can snap some beauties! 

Lets hope for a good show all round Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 06:17:53 pm »

while out Aurora watching last night I observed 16 meteors, of which 9 were Perseids. My attention was skyward for probably 2 hours total so I probably missed a few, but still I think thats some decent activity for being a week away from the peak.
Report Spam   Logged

Roman White

Poltava, Ukraine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 09:56:11 pm »

Hi guys, the activity seems to be good. I will be watching every time next week when I get some free time. The weather is near excellent here.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

SkyWatcher 130/900mm EQ3, Bresser 76/700mm, 20x90 bino. and other, Olympus SP-550UZ
Eclipse & comet chaser, occultation & meteor observer
Poltava Astronomy Portal
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:30:58 pm »

We've a dark-sky Perseid maximum in prospect soon, thanks to new Moon on August 10. The shower's peak is due between 18:30 UT on August 12 to 07:00 UT on August 13, most likely at some stage from about 23:30 to 02:00 UT. It should produce Zenithal Hourly Rates (ZHRs) of around 100. Observed rates, as usual, will be below this calculated value, but could still reach a meteor a minute or more on the maximum night, if your skies are as clear and dark as possible.

The most plausible peak interval is very favourable for Britain, as the Perseid radiant, a few degrees northeast of the "Double Cluster" near the maximum, can be usefully-observed from roughly 22h UT onwards, culminating after dawn. Perseids are swift, often bright, and commonly trained meteors, and those hoping to image some may find their capture rates enhanced by aiming towards And-Cas-Peg-Cyg.

The shower is already active (it began around July 17) and lasts through till about August 24. Although rates are always lower away from the peak, observed activity is usually good to very good for a couple of days before the maximum plus a day or so afterwards. This is important to remember if it seems the actual peak night may be clouded-out. Further information on the Perseids and other showers active simultaneously, including a Perseid radiant chart, is on August's SPA meteor activity web page, at...

http://www.popastro.com/sections/meteor/meteor-aug2010.htm

Good luck, and clear skies!, Alastair McBeath, Meteor Director, Society for Popular Astronomy

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 10:32:37 pm »

Perseid article from NASA...

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/05aug_perseids/
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 03:30:03 am »

Did a watch tonight from 00.00-03.00 BST, saw 29 Perseids which was great considering the distance from the peak. Brightest was mag +0, caught a faint short one on camera. Sky was incredible, very trans and dark with low fog, the high moisture content at low levels meant my lens kept misting over so I had to wipe it almost every min.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 03:50:59 am »

Amazing sky, cant believe it has cleared so well.  Saw 5 Perseids tonight from the back garden from 0200-0320 BST.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 08:52:01 pm »

This is my first Perseid catch of the year from last night, nice multiple colours on it, note the pillars and spikes around Jupiter due to the moisture in the lower levels of the atmosphere. Full image and cropped version...

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 08:54:35 pm »

A few patrol images, first the MW in Aquila then a bright sat in Ursa Major...

Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 10:16:58 pm »

Congratulations on the Perseid catch Martin nice green tint on it, i had the camera set up too but caught none.

Lovely portrait style image of the Milky way, great to see the return of darker skies.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum