Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 28, 2024, 02:49:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Perseids 2010

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Perseids 2010  (Read 1920 times)
Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 03:59:28 am »

As Paul says, congratulations of getting such a colourful meteor Martin. What focal length were you using BTW? During my unsuccessful attempt last Thursday I, too found that dew was becoming a problem again. I combat this with one of my home made dew shields; all of which are made out of black card. For severe dew I also use my AstroZap dew heater strap (the velcro fastener means that the strap fits nicely around all of my lenses, regardless of their respective diameters).

Fingers crossed that we all get some decent skies for next week's peak.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:30:04 am by Big Dipper » Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 11:05:19 am »

Thanks very much Paul and Andy...

Focal length was 18mm at F/3.2, exposure 60 sec's at ISO1600
Report Spam   Logged

rjgjr
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 05:26:29 pm »

Great images Martin, congrats on the Perseid. I did some continous shoots last night, 60x25 sec,  saw several Perseids I thought would show on the images, but too faint I guess. The second batch I did I went back in the house during the shoot, and when I came back out 30 minutes later, it was foggy and all I had was a wet lens. To the mountains I go on Thursday night!!
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 03:43:20 am »

Spent about 1.5 hours on and off tonight on a watch before the cloud and rain rolled. Caught another 7 Perseids, including a very bright one at 23:34 BST which left a brief smoke train.  Hopefully caught one on camera will check tomorrow.  Flash of lightning lit up the sky too.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 11:48:20 am »

Brilliant captures Martin!  Hoping to get some pickies myself of some Perseids pretty soon! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »

Thanks Mark, managed to get a watch done for an hour or more last night, saw 13 Perseids, one was a beauty in Hercules which left a glowing ion train in its wake. Sky was incredible, pitch black with stunning MW. Saw a bright flash of lightning to the N too. Didn't capture any meteors on camera despite trying very hard. Can't wait to get out again for another watch.
Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 03:11:34 am »

Success!!  Did battle with the clouds tonight but managed to catch a beauty at 02:02 BST

Cropped

Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 03:14:34 am »

Wow!, Paul that's a beauty!! sent it into spaceweather! - smack bang in the Summer Triangle too  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Big Dipper
Events

Oxford, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 04:05:42 am »

Excellent capture Paul & I second the SW suggestion.

Been a glorious sky here tonight with the Milky Way stretching from Cygnus, through Cassiopeia & towards Perseids. Unfortunately, like Private Godfrey, I managed to doze late evening off & am indebted to the cat for waking me up by jumping on top of me & sneezing in my face...............I think! Seen several meteors as well since about 12.45am though I've never bothered with note taking, preferring to just sit back & enjoy the show. Keeping my fingers crossed that I may have caught a meteor or two as well. If not, at least I will have a couple of nice stacks of the Milky Way through Cassiopeia & also the Pleiades area in Taurus.

Will pop out again shortly one the kettle has boiled. Temperature is perfect for observing the shower and my 'observing chair' has a convenient built in netted cup holder too.
Report Spam   Logged

Remember:- If all else fails, read the Instruction Manual! Grin

Andy
rjgjr
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 06:49:59 am »

That's a fantastic shot Paul, best one I've seen this go-around, congratulations!
Report Spam   Logged
paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 07:54:42 am »

Thanks Martin, Andy and Richard, sent to SW early this morning!      This one definitely put a smile on my face at two in the morning  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 06:54:25 pm »

Fabulous shots Paul and Martin. I've been clouded out the last few nights and still have only seen 9 perseids. It appears tonight will be the only clear night close to the peak :/ so I will have to make the most of it. Time to Nap! lol
Report Spam   Logged

martinastro
Martin Mc Kenna
Global Moderator

Maghera, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 04:08:25 pm »

Any luck Tyler?

Got one hour of clear sky last night and saw 22 Perseids, several were in the 0 mag range with long glowing ion trains, even got one on camera but it was too faint to keep so I let that Fish back into the water again  Smiley. Forecast is not inspiring for here tonight however I'm hopeful of clear gaps.
Report Spam   Logged

Tyler

Lincoln, Nebraska/Waconia, Minnesota, USA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 08:08:10 pm »

Had a gorgeous clear sky last night! Started watching from home at 0230z till 05z and saw 25 or less. I had a lot of trees in my way, so Moved further down my driveway and did a shot with the milkway and had a crazy meteor go through my frame! sucks I was at F4 and it didn't turn out :/ Then I learned you pretty much HAVE to shoot with your fastest lens, so I started shooting with my 50mm 1.8. Drove 10 miles outside of town into some fog got a bit south to some incredible skies. Started a new watch from 07z - 08z and witnessed 58 Perseids! then again from 08z to 09z and saw 64 perseids! Totaled up at 214 Perseids and 16 sporadics from 0230z to 10z. It was a glorious night to be out watching! also had some cool fog ops while out, so probably missed a good 30-40 meteors while taking pics of fog LOL.

I got three meteors on camera that I'll post later. Never thought I'd be close to my count last year over two nights! (272) Now holding out hope that storms don't cloud the skies tonight!
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 09:03:21 pm »

Giving it a go now as we have clear skies-After seing the photos here ,bit of a challenge .
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum