Astronomy, Photography and Weather
March 29, 2024, 11:50:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IAA lecture programme continues alternate Wednesdays from September - an excellent programme of lectures- Queens University Belfast - Bell Lecture Theatre. Also keep an eye out for the Summer Events

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Iceland Volcano - TV tomorrow

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iceland Volcano - TV tomorrow  (Read 585 times)
JohnC

Gloucester : UK

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:39:32 am »

Tomorrow evening (Tuesday) at  8.00pm on Channel 5 there's  a programme looking at the potential for the Icelandic, Katla, to erupt and it's 5 times bigger than Ejyafjallajokul the one that caused all the flight problems. The belief is that the melting icecaps are reducing pressure on the Earth's surface allowing magma to move towards the surface so there'll be more volcanoes becoming active  and Ejyaffjallajokull   has been the trigger for other volcanoes in the Iceland to erupt. The last time this volcano erupted in 1812 it went on for  more than 12 months.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »

Cheers John, will definitely be watching that.
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:40:26 pm »

Thanks for that heads up John, will definitely be watching that one myself too...  Wink

If anyone is interested I finally got round to uploading the vid I made of my 'South Shore Adventure' from when I went to Iceland in february this year.  This tour essentially circles what was then the Eyjafjallajokull glacier, obviouslly now it is better known as the Eyjafjallajokull volcano...  Essentially the whole area has been devastated from about 1 min into my vid - I feel quite humbled that it no longer looks like this anymore and that we were some of the last people to see the landscape in its old guise.  In particular the Gigajokull outlet glacier went from being a glacial tongue to a flash flood waterfall, before effervescing toxic gases and finally turning into a lava flow.  Ice to fire in the space of a month or so - scary!  Shocked

Anyways, if you're wondering which one is me I appear on the very first slide, wide eyed - i'm also chortling alot in the background most of the time.  I went there with my 3 brothers and best man as i'm getting married in august.  There's somemore vids on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/marktownleyful i've uploaded aswell from Iceland if you want to look...

Cheers, Mark Smiley
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 09:55:29 pm by markt » Report Spam   Logged

paulster78

Omagh, N. Ireland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:32:51 pm »

Mark that was an excellent video, very well put together.  Looks like you guys had a great time there with all the sights and the off-road driving. Those steps up to the waterfall looked well dodgy, i would probably have broke my neck on them!!  As you say even more special because of the volcano and the landscape is now changed forever.    Best of luck for the big day!  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

brianb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 08:52:52 am »

obviouslly now it is better known as the Eyjafjallajokull volcano...  Essentially the whole area has been devastated from about 1 min into my vid - I feel quite humbled that it no longer looks like this anymore and that we were some of the last people to see the landscape in its old guise.
I was under the impression that the "jokull" bit means "glacier" so the volcano should just be "Eyjafjalla".

The ice will reform when the event finally stops, in a few years it will probably be hard to tell the difference.
Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:04:40 am »

I was under the impression that the "jokull" bit means "glacier" so the volcano should just be "Eyjafjalla".

The ice will reform when the event finally stops, in a few years it will probably be hard to tell the difference.

You're right Brian, I think the 'fjalla' bit of the word means volcano.  I read that in a couple of years it would be fairly difficult to see what had gone on in terms of impact on the landscape.

Interesting file here http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1959793&da=y - a report written by the survey teams at the University of Iceland’s Institute of Earth Sciences and the Icelandic Meteorological Office on the eruption.  Quite interesting if it's your thing...
Report Spam   Logged

markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 09:00:40 pm »

Was an interesting program John.  Thanks for the heads up Wink
Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 11:17:04 pm »

I'm so-oooo impressed with not only the landscape,  but the high quality of that video, it's got to be the best I've seen, no shaking atall and remained at that top quality right the way through. It was a treat to view it.Will have a look at the YouTube too. The music was fantastic too (and I'm an oldie Lol) ...can't say enough about it. I'll be viewing it again tomorrow. What camcorder is it Mark ?  I was thinking of getting the Canon Legria ( HS21 version) but I'll be looking at this one too.

Also ,it's great to see  that go with your brothers -  not always the case. for families..you're a  fortunate chap indeed.
Report Spam   Logged
Conor McDonald

I will live my dream

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 10:06:06 pm »

I watched it, very good show! And that video is excellent indeed really cool!
Report Spam   Logged

Canon 500D
18 - 55mm lens
35- 80mm lens
70-300mm lens

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcdonald_conor/
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 11:36:29 am »

What camcorder is it Mark ? 

Slow on the reply here John, please excuse!

It's a Sony Handycam, not sure of the model, it's my parents...  I managed to get hold of a 'missing' tape that disappeared off in one of my brothers suitcases when we returned, anyway, got it back and put together another silly quick vid...

Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 12:07:52 pm »

I'd forgotten,Mark.Lol. Yes, Sony are said the be the ones to go for re. camcorders. I love the music too-I'm a Bluegrass fan and C &W fan.

Here's a great one for your next video maybe. This is the original from the film 'Bonnie and Cyde' as the police chased them in cars over the fields in Oklahoma before the shoot out that killed them both. It's called 'Foggy Mountain Breakdown'

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Flatt+%26+Scruggs/track/Foggy+Mountain+Breakdown

and here's Earl Scruggs (original player) live...the older one on the banjo in the middle.

Report Spam   Logged
markt

West Midlands, UK

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 06:34:06 pm »

Lol, I like it John. Cheesy

I did pop a quick one up yesterday - you should get the idea by now... Wink

Report Spam   Logged

JohnC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 09:29:03 pm »

Very good . I  look forward to hearing the choice of music as much as the video now -Excellent.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum